I have lost 2 cows need help!

Help Support CattleToday:

caral647

Reaction score
We have 7 longhorns currently and so far in this past month we have lost 2 of them. There is no signs of anything wrong with them, just all of a sudden in about 2 to 6 weeks before they die they start getting sick. For our first cow we just thought it was a food problem so we got 4 big round bales of hay, but he didn't get fatter. I think it is some internal parisite, but the books in my school library don't tell anything on cow diseases. The vet is coming over tomorrow, but i would like other peoples opinion. I am really scared that my other cows and my horse could catch the disease. So please post back

caral647":1e94a7ri said:
... just all of a sudden in about 2 to 6 weeks before they die they start getting sick.

Please describe "getting sick."

cfpinz

First - 2-6 weeks is not ALL OF A SUDDEN. You did not give us anything to go on. What symptoms?? Scours, fever (did you take their temp??) Are these calves/steers, bred heifers, cows, bred cows???
Are they losing weight "all of a sudden" 2-6 weeks? Are they thin - backbone showing?
Yes, I would STRONGLY recommend having the vet out (1 week after the first one "suddenly" got sick" would have been about the right time.

caral647":2ly6u5qm said:
We have 7 longhorns currently and so far in this past month we have lost 2 of them. There is no signs of anything wrong with them, just all of a sudden in about 2 to 6 weeks before they die they start getting sick. For our first cow we just thought it was a food problem so we got 4 big round bales of hay, but he didn't get fatter. I think it is some internal parisite, but the books in my school library don't tell anything on cow diseases. The vet is coming over tomorrow, but i would like other peoples opinion. I am really scared that my other cows and my horse could catch the disease. So please post back

What source did you get your LH from? Private breeder? Sale Barn? Other?

How old were they? Had they been properly vaccinated, de-wormed on regular basis? "Hardware Disease" from a trashy area or pasture?

Horses don't usually get a Cattle disease and vice versa.

It is extremely rare for a LH to get sick or just die. Something very serious going on here. Glad you have Vet coming out!!

Were you feeding the cows before they got sick? The Georgetown area is pretty rocky and cedar covered.. I suspect unless you have 100 acres they need to be fed every day.

There are any number of diseases cattle can get, but none that will transmit themselves to the horse.

I'm sorry I missed the 2-6 weeks of sickness. Cherry leaves wouldn't take that long either.After looking back at the symptoms I don't think we have enough information to help out here.With the info given here it could be any number of things. If the owner isn't familier with IBR BVD that sounds about the right timing of an animal to show signs of sickness and if left untreated would perish.