I have a weird question.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend who lives in another part of the state . He dropped a calf off at the processor ( first one he's every taken for processing) last week. He was told by the processor that the time required was proportional to how fat the calf was. I've never heard that from a processor; they always asked me how long I wanted the calf to hang.

Has anyone else ever heard anything regarding a direct correlation to fat and length of time to process????

Well they would have to spend more time trimming fat off if the animal is overly fat

Texas Gal said:
jehosofat said:
Not much fat, not much hang time. Lotta fat, longer hang time. Absolutely true.

Interesting. Can you explain the science behind it? Inquiring minds what to know.

The fat around the beef slows the aging process based on how much fat there is, one without much fat ages quickly. Too long aging on low fat beef will dry the meat out, and cause it to lose flavor.

[/quote]
The fat around the beef slows the aging process based on how much fat there is, one without much fat ages quickly. Too long aging on low fat beef will dry the meat out, and cause it to lose flavor.
[/quote]

Makes total sense. I had never had it mentioned to me in all the years we've been having calves processed but then again we've never taken in a thin one to be processed.

[/quote]

Makes total sense. I had never had it mentioned to me in all the years we've been having calves processed but then again we've never taken in a thin one to be processed.
[/quote]

The butcher I use really knows what he's doing, I let him determine how long to let em hang. He has it down to the day. As soon as he removes the hide, he puts a tag on it with the cut up date on it.

Texas Gal said:
jehosofat said:
Not much fat, not much hang time. Lotta fat, longer hang time. Absolutely true.

Interesting. Can you explain the science behind it? Inquiring minds what to know.
Why?
Because the outside surface area ages first, so it ages from the outside in.

Carcasses with little to no fat covering should never hang more than 5 days.
The article says correct cooking has a greater influence on tenderness than aging.

Latest posts