I have a slow calf after worming.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
Bought a pair and the bull calf looked to have worms bad. I poured him with generic Ivermectin and also gave him a shot of Cydectin. I probably used to much of both and now he's a little slow. But he's eating and drinking just fine. Is this sluggish behavior normal after a heavy worming? And if it's not can our Vet do anything to help? I also gave him Calvary 9 and Triangle 10 at the time of worming. Thanks Vince.

I can't speak for calves butmy hounds before using injectible wormer I used strong lid and when I used to much they acted weak and didn't act themselves for a couple days.first day was the worst day 3 were normal.

I would sooner think that it is the vaccines slowing him down. Kind of like when you get a flu shot. Or maybe his neck is sore. I have it happen a lot with horses after vaccines.
Wormers have a broad range of safety. But if they have a really heavy load, I understand there can be problems with a big kill off. But it has to be done.

Aren't there some months and regions you aren't supposed to use a pour-on....or am I (again) getting this confused with something else?

The dead parasites being processed by the calfs system can be a drag on them if it was a heavy load. Also, they can leave a lot of wound in the digestive tract, lungs, liver etc that take some time to heal.

Branguscowgirl, I worked about 25 calves the same way at the same time. And he's the only slow one out of the bunch. But he was also the worst looking calf by far out of the group. So maybe it was a combination of things IDK. Hopefully he'll be alright in the morning and start putting the weight on. I was planning on cutting and implanting him at the same time, but I'm glad didn't.

Hook":64n40bgl said:
Gb, you're thinking about the bot fly larvae. I think it's late fall in the cooler climates thatbtheybcan be an issue
Might be, but I've never heard them called bot fly larvae.
I've always called them heel or warble flies--they make the grubs. I don't remember the dates, but I think it's November, then you aren't supposed to treat again till spring, but if IIRC, that month changes, depending where you live. I know Inyati posted one time that he had found a grub on one of his cattle or on someone eles's cow from his area.
I haven't seen any here in years. I'll have to do a search on it.

A bit of info here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73126

It is probably just as Hook stated. The worm count may have been so great when all of them were killed it had an adverse effect of the calf. If thats it the calf will be ok, it will just take a few days.
Old traders here would buy a cow that had a really bad worm load and would give her a 1/2 dose of horse wormer. They thought killing all the worms at once would make the cow so weak she could get down and die also. This was before the days of Pour Ons or cydectin. We rarely see one that bad here anymore.

Kingfisher likely hit it. More than likely related to the move, exposure to new 'bugs' from any cattle they were around at the salebarn and now at hg's place - not to mention that it sounds like...nutritional state was not optimal wherever they came from...

He 'looked to have worms real bad'... how does that look, highgrit? Just wondering...without doing a fecal egg count, how do you know the difference between 'wormy' and 'starved'? Inadequate nutrition is usually a bigger problem than worm burden.
With cattle, you can usually feed your way through a worm problem, but you sure can't deworm your way out of a feed deficiency.

At the risk of POing you...y'all are just propagating old BS.
Killing ALL the worms is what you need to do - dead worms(I'm not talking warble larvae) don't cause nearly the damage or drain on the animal that the live ones do...as they continuing to feed on the animal. Giving half a dose...more BS; it just contributes to selecting for worms with resistance to that class of dewormers.
If an animal goes down or dies because you killed all the worms at one fell swoop, it's not because you killed all the worms - it's because you didn't kill them soon enough.

Margin of safety for most all the dewormers is pretty wide - exception is levamisole - you might have to go 5X-10X to see signs of toxicity with most of them...but, other than accidentally, why would you want to waste the $$ doing so. Better to overdose a little than to underdose.

Latest posts