I have a question

Help Support CattleToday:

azbrlracer

Reaction score
I stable my horses at a boarding place. The owner of the place brought a friends yealing calf in. He has pink eye really bad, totally blind. a runny nose, and open sores under his belly, right by his flanks. they are oozing really bad. I don't know anything about cows. They won't get a vet, my question is if my horses are in the pen next to him, I am afraid my horses might get sick. Is thier any disease that cows get that are contagouis for my horses. Thank you for any help. I would love to help this calf also. :help:

SRBeef

Reaction score
If they won't call a vet for an obviously sick animal I believe I would get my horse out of there and find another place to board him ASAP.

msscamp

Reaction score
azbrlracer":1zdjcfy1 said:
They won't get a vet...

That should tell you everything you need to know about this person's business ethics, and method of operation - get your horse out of there now!

Alan

Reaction score
Before we jump to too many conclusions, do you know what they are doing for the calf? Treating the pink eye? Cleaning and treating the soars? A Vet may not be needed if someone has some knowledge of treating these things. A shot of LA200 will help the pink (not the blindness) and cleaning the wound and probably a topical antibiotic on the soars. Probably don't want a pen injection on top of the LA200.... but a phone call to a good vet is always free. I would hate to see you go through the trouble of yanking your horse if there is no problem.

JMO,
Alan

Latest posts