I have a question, about BANGS vacc

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
This has bugged me for awhile, and I haven't got a answer from my local vets yet.

2 years ago, we bought a bred cow, and a 7 mo. heifer. Cow was preg-checked; heifer had been BANGS vaccinated -- had to do that, state to state. About 4 mos. later, I found an aborted calf out by the barn. I freaked; figured it was the bred cow. Didn't EVEN THINK about that heifer, until a week after the incident. And, after talking to the guy we purchased from, the bull had been out with the young heifers as he switched breeding/calving schedules. Once we figured out which critter had actually aborted, it was a God-send that it was that heifer. We had no idea when we bought her that she'd been bull-exposed.

But, my question: If a heifer is impregnated, and THEN Is BANGS vaccinated, is that likely to cause an abortion a few months down the road? I'd think "YES." ??

So...how certain are you that it was, indeed, the heifer that aborted - or are you just 'wishful thinking'?

Even if it were the heifer, without having submitted that abortus and fetal membranes for diagnostic examination, you've got no way of knowing if the abortion was due to the brucellosis vaccine, or some other problem.

The newer RB51 Brucella vaccine can cause abortion when injected into pregnant animals, but it is much less likely to do so than the old Strain 19 vaccine - and the common problem of sustained vaccine-induced titers that we always had to deal with from over-age, pregnant, or cycling heifers vaccinated with Strain 19 is eliminated.

Lucky_P":1d9yzzvd said:
So...how certain are you that it was, indeed, the heifer that aborted - or are you just 'wishful thinking'?

Even if it were the heifer, without having submitted that abortus and fetal membranes for diagnostic examination, you've got no way of knowing if the abortion was due to the brucellosis vaccine, or some other problem.

The newer RB51 Brucella vaccine can cause abortion when injected into pregnant animals, but it is much less likely to do so than the old Strain 19 vaccine - and the common problem of sustained vaccine-induced titers that we always had to deal with from over-age, pregnant, or cycling heifers vaccinated with Strain 19 is eliminated.

We were real green newbies back then!! My focus was on the cow, who was showing me no sign of having aborted. It was during the winter -- dark when I leave for work in the AM and dark when I get home, with hubby doing the feeding, so I wasn't seeing what was going on out there. (But I was pretty darn sure that none of the steers had aborted!) It didn't even occur to me that the heifer was in the equation. A couple days after the event, hubby casually mentioned there was some blood-tinged discharge on the heifer's tail. That's when the bells and whistles finally went off; I called the seller, and found out the young heifers were in fact in the pasture with the cows during breeding season. So, she would have been bred at about 5 mos. old. She was BANGS vacc'd a couple days before I brought her home, at 7 mos.

The cow calved on time in the Spring. The next year, the "heifer" calved with no problems.

i dont think ive ever heard of a bangs vacc causing a heifer to slipp a calf if she got bred to young.now i know if you bangs vacc a heifer thats over 12 months,the vacc will make her card pos for bangs.but she is really sight neg.that means she isnt a banger.an she is painted yellow wich means she has to stay in the state she was sold in.the other states wont allow her in.

BigBull - I wasn't thinking that her age had anything to do with it -- just the fact that she was vacc'd after she was already bred. Since brucellosis = abortions, it made sense to me that the "protection" could do the same. The WSU link I got from Dun says so, too. In any event, that heifer was none too big at the time, and I suspect she'd have had trouble with delivery had she carried full-term, so it was a blessing in disguise.