i have a new calf and need help

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, when we raise bottle calves, we only feed twice a day. Morning and evening. Dairies and places that raise dairy replacement heifers do the same.
I use a bottle like this:
img9656929med.jpg

The calves start nibbling on hay and grain when they are several weeks old. Many people wean around 6 to 8 weeks old.

You might find this thread useful:

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49811

You really need to build her a place to live outside as soon as possible. The longer you keep her inside, the harder it will be for her to adapt. What are you going to do when she decides to play with your furniture -- butting it and knocking it about?

ETA: Be careful about trying to force her to nurse. It would be bad should she inhale her milk replacer.

As much as I love cows I agree with the crew, please get the calf out of your house.
Even in the garage would be better.

From my microbiology class and working with foods...
You need to have things over a certain temp (140° I think) and below a certain temp (41°) to have the least amount of bacterial growth.

Keeping her around the 40° mark will be plenty comfortable for her, she's got a fur coat, and will help keep what is making her sick at bay.

We keep cattle in the barn and it's always more dangerous when it's too warm. We have to turn the fans on and keep it as close to the 40 mark in winter as we can to keep the animals healthy and we need them in the barn to keep from having water freezing up so my brother has to be a good steward to both his building and his animals and keeps a couple thermometers around to monitor.

Please please please do her a favor and get her somewhere cooler to limit the bug problems.

What kind of calf? A 60 lb Jersey doesn't need to be fed the same as a 110 lb Holstein
As far as keeping it in the house for a while, unless you're the worst housekeeper in the world bacteria is not a factor at room temp.

good luck

skeeter swatter":1ahg7bwj said:
What kind of calf? A 60 lb Jersey doesn't need to be fed the same as a 110 lb Holstein
As far as keeping it in the house for a while, unless you're the worst housekeeper in the world bacteria is not a factor at room temp.

They've had a calf messing in there house for a week they might be the worst housekeeper in the world.

good luck

glacierridge":1xgxrf3n said:
Not a factor at room temp?
Uh...
Better run a few studies. ;-)
If bacteria are present... They love room temp just like the rest of us.
Maybe more.

OK, I'm assuming a few things.
1. they haven't raised many calves in the house
2. they clean occasionally, I could be wrong

60-70 degrees, clean and dry are ideal conditions for raising bottle calves.
I've raised cattle for almost 40 years, 1 even survived. ;-)

skeeter swatter":1hqec301 said:
glacierridge":1hqec301 said:
Not a factor at room temp?
Uh...
Better run a few studies. ;-)
If bacteria are present... They love room temp just like the rest of us.
Maybe more.

OK, I'm assuming a few things.
1. they haven't raised many calves in the house
2. they clean occasionally, I could be wrong

60-70 degrees, clean and dry are ideal conditions for raising bottle calves.
I've raised cattle for almost 40 years, 1 even survived. ;-)

There be your key word :)
Where there is sickness then you gotta be extra clean.
When there is a bug it gets crazy so fast.
I've seen some pretty sad epidemics :(
But yeah. If everyone is well, room temp is good. :)

Latest posts