I have a ? for y"all about Bangs vaccination

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
Would you consider buying a 2 year old heifer who has never been Bang's vaccinated?

The lady selling her was told by two "experienced cattlemen" that Texas is Bang's free and you don't have to test or vaccinate anymore :roll:

I do it all the time. But MO has been bangs free for a long time.

chippie":1pwg138a said:
Would you consider buying a 2 year old heifer who has never been Bang's vaccinated?

The lady selling her was told by two "experienced cattlemen" that Texas is Bang's free and you don't have to test or vaccinate anymore :roll:
I remember when cattlemen dealt with it. The process of getting rid of it was devastating to many. I vaccinate all of mine and expect others to do the same. I probably would not buy it out of principle unless it was a very exceptional heifer.

I think their is a difference in buying one and raising one for your own use. I trust my herd to be bangs free but I don't know about the one(s) the unvaccinated heifer has come from or been exposed to.

If I'm buying, I want it vaccinated.

Have it at least tested before bringing it into your herd. You can still vaccinate with RB51 at that age when she is not in calf.

jerry27150":2n3omqbc said:
havn't heard of anyone vaccinating for bangs for years

Its normal procedure up here...Many states won't allow breeding stock to be imported into their state unless they were OCV bangs vaccinated (Official Calfhood Vaccination)- and have readable shields....

One of the reasons we can't import Canadian cattle anymore (Canada doesn't allow vaccination anymore- and Montana (and most neighboring states) doesn't allow importing nonvaccinants)...

jerry27150":2ntup1vx said:

Virginia is considered a 'Bang's free' state, but alot of folks still do it. I figure it sure couldn't hurt, and its not that much of an 'extra' expense.

At the place where I work, they do it as well, and there are many.

As to the original question, I haven't bought any 2-year olds that weren't vaccinated.

Katherine

We are in the opposite corner from Yellowstone, but most all ranchers that I know bangs vaccinate. Most everone I have ever talked about it with feels the vaccinated heifers bring enough more to make it pay, although I think more of the nonvaccs are usually the cheaper cattle anyway.

I never let any heifers off the place without being OCVs, even if they go direct to a feedyard, its no guarantee they can't wind up in someones cowherd unless you spay them!

jerry27150":1ku30huo said:

It's pretty much routine in Wyoming, and it is my understanding that no cattle come into the state without being bled and tested for Bangs.

Cattle are supposed to be less than a year old... Cost here is $8 per head.

A few states require it for importing breeding stock, but TB is a much bigger concern in this area. No one can remember the last Bang' case but we find TB every year now since it got into the deer herd...

Latest posts