I have a cow that slobbers

Help Support CattleToday:

P & H cattle

Reaction score
I have a cow that slobbers a lot when chewing her cud. She is two years old.
None of my other cows do this.
Why does she do this.

Thank you
Pete

Likely she's still in the process of replacing her baby teeth with her permanent teeth

I had the vet out today and he checked her teeth and said everything was fine with her teeth.
He thought she may have swallowed some metal like wire.
He checked her with a metal detector and found nothing.

He believes she has a defective valve between the chambers of her stomach which is letting fluid backup and that is what she in bringing up when she regurgitates. To much fluid with her cud.

He said it might be from an old injury or it might be genetic.
So for $110 he recommends I cull her.

What do you think
Pete

Does it affect her in any other way? Is she eating fine and in good shape? Has she calved and if so did she raise a good calf? If all else is fine with her I'd keep her just never keep any of her calves.

I bought her as a 6 months bred heifer. She produced a fine calf then and now with her second calf.
I first noticed her slobbering with her first calving and now again while I watched her for her second calving.
With 75 head that is all the extra attention I give any cow I simple don't have the time to nursemaid them.
After their second calving they are on their own.
The slobbering doesn't seem to have effect her as she has gained good weight and produced 2 good calves since I have had her.

But, as the vet said, it could get worse with age or she could accidentally inhale some of it and get a respiratory infection.
As he put it, this is borderline throw up and cows can't throw up, or at least they are not suppose too.
Keeping her is a 50/50 chance she will be fine or she will develop a more serious problem later.

I had her on my cull list as soon as I weaned her calf, but thought it was worth a try by checking her teeth as suggested as she is a good cow except for this problem.

To me the risk is to high to keep her so she will be culled to the weigh pen.
Thanks for your help
Pete

If she is not costing you anything extra and is holding her weight and raising a decent calf, I don't see the problem other than cosmetic and the "what if" . She may not ever do anything but slobber.

If you sell her at the salebarn and she is slobbering she will not bring much at all. Sometimes it is worth more to keep the cow and let her raise calves, if it will only bring a low price at the sale.

I see what you are saying but she has already cost me money that I wouldn't normally spend. (Vet $110.) plus my time.

As I see it I can sell her now and make money or wait and possibly lose money.
In my opinion I would be a fool not to bet on a sure thing reather then betting on a 50/50 risk which could guarantee me to be a loser.

Plus I don't take stress any better then my cattle. And the stress of worrying about her and giving her special attention is just not my style.
Nor do I want to waste my time or be bothered seeking her out in a herd of 75 just to make sure she is still ok.
It just isn't my management style.

I think she will make an excellent slaughter cow and should bring top dollar as she is a large Angus, fat and looks perfectly healthy.
Pete

I'd follow the recommendation of your vet, none of us have seen her.