I have a bull calf that likes to eat ice out of my hands.

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
He was fed ice 2 or 3 times, and he loves it. I have a problem with him not leaving me alone now. :idea: I brought this on myself...didn't I? :cry:

I have 20 head of angus that come a running if I'm working in the pasture after feeding them apples. Cool but startling sometimes.

I have a friend that would feed her steer pieces of cookies and poptarts at the shows...don't know how healthy it is, but the steer loved them.

Years ago we had a cow that loved to be petted and scratched. Anybody, anytime and she'ld race across the pasture bellering. We also had a problem with people stopping on the road, hoping the fence and wacking a few pheasants. I put that cow in the front pasture during pheasant season and never again had a problem. The first time I saw it happen I about died laughing at these jokers running as fast as they could and that cow hot on their heels. Great watch cow.

dun

dun":13vqhke6 said:
Years ago we had a cow that loved to be petted and scratched. Anybody, anytime and she'ld race across the pasture bellering. We also had a problem with people stopping on the road, hoping the fence and wacking a few pheasants. I put that cow in the front pasture during pheasant season and never again had a problem. The first time I saw it happen I about died laughing at these jokers running as fast as they could and that cow hot on their heels. Great watch cow.

dun

Great story Dun! I got a grin out it myself just reading it. :lol:

RedAngus on your problem, my Dad used raise / sell Reg. Brahmas and his big sales point was how gentle them wild "bremmers" were. He liked to have the buyer pull the trailer into the pasture and open up the back and he would load the bull with a bucket of feed. The only problem was keeping the other young bulls out, they all wanted to load up.

;-)

this past summer we needed to get our bull out of the far pasture, about a mile down the road, instead of running him up and what not, i just pulled the trailer out in his pasture, put maybe 3 cups of feed in a bucket, then while he was eating just slipped a rope halter over his head and led him into the trailer.
We showed him til his was 2, he's now 7 and hasnt seen a halter since we showed him. He has about 55" tip to tip of horn.

My little baby brahman (13 months old) is the biggest baby. He sticks his head through the pen and he will sit for hours letting you scratch under his neck. When he is out in the corral, I grab a handful of hay and start running, and he chases me. I have him to the point where I barely touch his foot with the show stick and he sets up perfect every time. First show in 2 and a half weeks, cant wait.

Hi TxCoUnTrYbOy,

Good luck with your first show. Sounds like you've put a lot of time into him. Let us know how it goes. Just remember to have fun.

In high school I had an Angus cow who ate the little red and white Brachs peppermints. I always had them in my coat pocket,and if I did not share,she would stick her nose in my pocket and try to help herself.Thanks for posting this-I hadn't thought of that old girl in a long time. :lol:

Chuck said: Thanks for posting this-I hadn't thought of that old girl in a long time.

I too have had my memory tweaked many times while reading the posts here. Not with cattle, cause that's newer, but with experiances in general. The little things that was just another day then, and remembering them now, bring such warmth to my life.

I had a Brahman I showed years ago that was known as "Garbage". She was really gentle, and loved all the attention from the kids at the shows. A lot of time show cattle really aren't that friendly with strangers, but Garbage loved them all.

A lot of the kids would go by with food, and they'd ask if she liked popcorn, or elephant ears or whatever. Pretty soon they were testing her, and she would eat ANYTHING.. including hot dogs, and then funnel cakes AND the paper plate! When I hung her second place ribbon above her in the stall, she had that in her mouth in minutes. Luckily I rescued it before she could swallow.. but I still have that scrunched up ribbon in my ribbon case. She's still in the pasture, eating hay and grain like a normal cow.

On of her pasture mates loves Moon Pies, but only the banana ones, she doesn't like the chocolate. I guess there's no accounting for taste!

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2ex1iibf said:
Arnold Ziffle":2ex1iibf said:
Please do the right thing and offer her some RC Cola when you feed her those Moon Pies. :lol:
Here I thought people from Texas were Dr Pepper fans !

Something like 40 years ago there was a country comedian (I think Justin Wilson) that talked of RC Cola and Moonpies. I assumed that was what the reference was to.

dun

dun":3ddfjdsf said:

Something like 40 years ago there was a country comedian (I think Justin Wilson) that talked of RC Cola and Moonpies. I assumed that was what the reference was to.

dun[/quote]

Justin Wilson died about 2 or 3 years ago. He was active with his Cooking Shows and story telling until just a few mo. before he died.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2z2f9ip4 said:
Arnold Ziffle":2z2f9ip4 said:
Please do the right thing and offer her some RC Cola when you feed her those Moon Pies. :lol:

My family was since it was started by a relative. Grandma always had cases setting on the porch. Truck delivered them ever week.

Latest posts