I hate the wait to see how the cows do

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
With me being sick, I haven't been able to spend anytime out with the cows. In March my dad told me that I had no grass, and had run out of hay. He suggested that I cull some. So we did, but the rest of the herd is not in normal healthy shape. So much so that I'm worried about how many cows actually came into heat to breed. Next year will definitely be a watershed year for Cypress Farms. If I'm lucky 80% will breed: If I'm not it could get ugly. Can't cull the one's open from this year because it's not their fault. Wasn't able to tend to them myself to start adding bulk feed when things got bad. All I can do now is cross my fingers.

I feel for those who go through so many droughts and have to worry about this every year. I also have a new found respect for the 'ol timers who would have to sit back and basically see which cows made it though the winter. That had to be tough.

I'm sorry to hear that Cypress, hopefully everything will work out.

Well now there's always many, many ways of looking at things...

Let's go for the positive way -- you CAN cull the open ones and by doing so you are keeping the most efficient, productive genetics in your herd... it's a key factor in this business. You have to ask yourself, are the open ones working for you, or are you working for them? Bad employees get fired.

DavisBeefmasters":2bn59ym7 said:

Let's go for the positive way -- you CAN cull the open ones and by doing so you are keeping the most efficient, productive genetics in your herd... it's a key factor in this business. You have to ask yourself, are the open ones working for you, or are you working for them? Bad employees get fired.

Unfortunately, that isn't as true as it once was.

DavisBeefmasters":2l5a5wuj said:

I could not agree more. I look at this as an opportunity. You will end up with easy keepers and fertility.
I actually like to buy cattle during hard times. We have been in drought for a while in my area. I just bought a cow from a man that needed to thin his herd. The cow maintained her flesh year round, on poor pasture, with a calf on her side. She bred back in less than a year and always raised a good calf. The day I picked her up she still had a calf on her that was not weaned. To my surprise she had just delivered a calf that morning. She is still butterball fat. This is the type of genetics I want in my herd.

Most everyone around here is running out of hay. We had 15 inches of rain several weeks ago, but it's dry again and the grass is not growing.

Last time it got so dry, I made a decision that I would maintain a minimum of 2 years worth of hay and people laughed at me. They're not laughing now......

grannysoo":3gd2qakz said:
Most everyone around here is running out of hay. We had 15 inches of rain several weeks ago, but it's dry again and the grass is not growing.

Last time it got so dry, I made a decision that I would maintain a minimum of 2 years worth of hay and people laughed at me. They're not laughing now......

I've fed 2 year supply in the last 12 months. Still have about a half years supply left. Not having any trouble getting $140 - $180 a ton for any I sell either, but not to much is for sale.

Hope I will be able to replace a good bit of that before everything burns up.

your in a tough spot with a drought an cows to feed an cull down to the bone.id cull the old an problem cows.an grain an hay the rest of the cows.an wean the calves asap.

Latest posts