I hate snakes.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
Went to check on the cows across the road last evening. I unlocked the gate, checked the mineral feeder, counted the cows/calfs, drove the fenceline, locked the gate upon leaving. Then as we were turning around to head back across the road, I saw a 20 feet long, or at least it looked that long to me, rat snake curled up on top of a cross tie post about 8 foot from the gate I just came through. I don't know if I should feel better or worse that my husband didn't notice it either. :eek: We sat and watched that snake crawl into another pipe post right beside the old cross tie. I'll pay closer attention in the future!

Me too!!!!! If I have any way to do it I kill every snake of any kind I see, I have no use for any of them. I didn't know there were any snakes close to 20ft in this country though, glad I haven't come across any!

denvermartinfarms":1sy4nw6w said:
Me too!!!!! If I have any way to do it I kill every snake of any kind I see, I have no use for any of them. I didn't know there were any snakes close to 20ft in this country though, glad I haven't come across any!

It was only a rat snake around 4 foot long.....he just looked 20 ft long when I glanced over and saw him.

My Jack Russell, Abbey, was throwing a fit night before last beside the garage. I went outside to see what she had cornered. I saw the snake trying to scoot across the concrete pad just outside of the garage. It was moving like a sidewinder, but wasn't getting a lot of traction. She was grabbing it's tail and pulling it backwards and as it was trying to strike. It was a 20" Copperhead snake. My Blue Heeler Buster, just barked a bit far enough back to stay out of the snakes range. He had been bit the year before and stayed overnight at the vet's office. His head got so big, and it didn't go down completely for about 3 days.

I just scooped Abbey up, and took her in the house because she intended to kill it. I knew she would get bit in the process, so I put a stop to her fun.

I find Copperheads around the house quite often as I live in the middle of nowhere, and there is a ditch filled with running water that surrounds the property.
When the hay is cut, on the other side of the pasture, there are always quite a few dead ones found close to the ditch area where the disc mower cuts them up.
I can always tell when Abbey has killed a snake because she will have red whip marks over her body. she She does pull a lot of the skin off and I think she may roll on it. She could be slinging it back and forth and it hits her body. I have not caught her in the act yet. She looks like a red brindle dog.

melking":3s7e6yvf said:
denvermartinfarms":3s7e6yvf said:
skyhightree1":3s7e6yvf said:
pythons and boa's grow that big.
I just didn't know we had them loose here in the wild.

We do here in South Florida

people tend to get too scared of them when they get pretty big and release them into the wild you never know where you may find them

skyhightree1":18b3bicd said:
melking":18b3bicd said:
We do here in South Florida

people tend to get too scared of them when they get pretty big and release them into the wild you never know where you may find them
I'm glad I ain't in FL, and I sure hope I don't run in to one of those released ones here.

love my jack Russell. his name is jack yea, I know very original name. he is not afraid of anything thinks he is 10 foot tall and bullet proof its gonna be the death of him

I was taking care of the chickens a couple hours ago when I heard the wife let out a scream. She was picking blackberries and I figured she had run across the chicken snake that had been hanging out there. She had bird netting over the berries and the snake had entangled itself in it and was dead. Had to cut the thing out.

Latest posts