I hate Junipers

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There is no shortage of juniper trees on my place. First they take up space that could be growing grass. Then they claim a mature juniper uses 30 gallons of water per day. In an area that only gets 10 inches of rain a year that is a lot of water. They seem to grow in the areas that would have the most potential to grow grass. Good soil and the base of draws which would have the potential to have water. They grow around the springs which supply water to the cattle. For this reason people cut a lot of them down. They are listed as a noxious plant in Oregon. Controlled burns have been used to control them. But we all saw what happened to the Hammonds when a "controlled burn" gets on to BLM.
So scattered around on my place are junipers which were cut down some years ago. They have so many limbs that the trunk of the tree is held up off the ground. They haven't rotted at all. Lots of people claim they are real good fire wood. So I went to cutting them up. If I hate live junipers and really hate dead dry junipers. They have a ton of dry stiff limbs that are all tangled up. There is no give to these limbs. They grab you, poke you, trip you, and even tear your cloths. It takes twice the saw gas and three times the effort to cut as decent wood does. I cut about 3 cords. My daughter in law who lives in Northern Nevada says it is great wood. That is because she never had to hold on to the snotty end of a chain saw and cut this stuff. She was paying $300 a cord for it. I decided the guy cutting it for that price works too cheap. Did I mention that I hate juniper!!!!

Farm Fence Solutions":4rvptctz said:
I knew that place was a dump! lol

Yep, I am considering selling right now. For a cool 1.5 mil some else can have these head aches...... I really hate juniper

callmefence":3l8h0rok said:
I sure wouldn't use them for firewood until I made sure my insurance was right.
Tree shear and tordon 22 my friend.

Insurance is good. Lots of it burned in stoves around here. Even the preferred wood by a number of people. The former owners burned it. Of course they burned all the easy to get to ones. The ones I have been cutting were interesting getting to with a quad pulling a little trailer. There are a lot of them that are just going to have to stay where they are and eventually rot away. The ground is just too steep to get any where near them. My plan for fire wood for next year is cut them green in the spring and let the wood dry over the summer. Doing that the limbs shouldn't be a stiff as they are on these dead dry trees.

I'll trade you hawthorns for junipers! Hawthorns will bring you to your knees if you get poked.. and they're way sharper

Juniper is an AWESOME wood for carving and woodworking, nice color, easy to cut, and takes a beautiful polish.

Oh, yeah, it doesn't rot.. at all.. We've been here 30 years and a couple years ago I came across one that had been down since before we bought.. still lots of good wood left in it

Nesikep":cz4wezdw said:
I'll trade you hawthorns for junipers! Hawthorns will bring you to your knees if you get poked.. and they're way sharper

Juniper is an AWESOME wood for carving and woodworking, nice color, easy to cut, and takes a beautiful polish.

Oh, yeah, it doesn't rot.. at all.. We've been here 30 years and a couple years ago I came across one that had been down since before we bought.. still lots of good wood left in it

I had a lot of hawthorns over on the coast. I am happy I am not dealing with them. An awful lot of the older fence here has juniper posts. Most of those posts are better than the wire. Now that I am done with the winter wood I plan to attack the smaller junipers. On days when I am not too busy I plan to burn a tank or two of gas just sawing off the little ones. The ones that are big enough to make a post I will limb them up while standing, cut off at the ground, and take the top off at about 7 1/2 - 8 feet.

Latest posts