I hate ICE!

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
One of my favorite cows bred to my favorite bull had her calf on Monday. Since then it has been bitter cold for Oklahoma. Calf disappeared, couldn't find him all day and his momma keeps going from the herd to the pond bawling. Been busting ice at daybreak and dawn, guess he must have fallen in thru the ice :bang: Our ponds don't ice over very much here. Most years never. The past two years it seems I am breaking ice 10 or more days a year. Yesterday I had 5 calves get on the ice, each time they fell the ice would crack a little. I guess I am lucky to lose just one so far. You guys that deal with this on a regular basis got any secrets, or advice?

Isomade":1nbzobl0 said:
One of my favorite cows bred to my favorite bull had her calf on Monday. Since then it has been bitter cold for Oklahoma. Calf disappeared, couldn't find him all day and his momma keeps going from the herd to the pond bawling. Been busting ice at daybreak and dawn, guess he must have fallen in thru the ice :bang: Our ponds don't ice over very much here. Most years never. The past two years it seems I am breaking ice 10 or more days a year. Yesterday I had 5 calves get on the ice, each time they fell the ice would crack a little. I guess I am lucky to lose just one so far. You guys that deal with this on a regular basis got any secrets, or advice?
Fence off the ponds and use them only as a source to provide water in another spot

That ain't a bad idea. If it saved me 10 calves over the next 10-15 years it looks cheap too.

Isomade":1vf2tfie said:
That ain't a bad idea. If it saved me 10 calves over the next 10-15 years it looks cheap too.
I"ve had to fish too many calves and cows out oponds for other people that we fence off all the ponds. You can set thme up so that there is just one smallish area that they can get to the water. If you put in 2 inch rock in that area they won;t hang out there, just drink and leave. Have a pond across the road we set up like that, works really well. His cows don;t lounge around in the water but they do hang out in the area.

Thanks Bill, it ain't the first and won't be the last. It's just that one calf you really want to see develope. But compared to the bad day Randiliana had a week ago I should thank my lucky stars it's just one.

Latest posts