I Guess This Means we're Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, the cows really aren't due to start til March 5. But, we have about 20 we're watching already. Have had 5 or 6 in the barn the last few nights and up checking on them at 3 am. -25 + windchills = watching cows already. Our normals are usually close to 15 degrees (Celsius) warmer than that!

Last night we had 5 in the barn, 2 in their own stalls cause they looked suspicious and the others just in the loafing area. DH went out at 5:30 and found this.... Well, they didn't come out with the toques on, he supplied those. Too bad though, they are a heifer and a bull....
DSC06768.jpg

DSC06766.jpg

DSC06767.jpg

I wasn't really thinking she'd have twins, although I knew she'd be early. She was early last year too, but just had a single. So, right now we have 3 cows calved and 4 calves.

Based on AI dates our first should have been due the 24th of February, we had one on the 14th and one on the 17th. Then on the 23rd they really kicked in.

Randi,
How long do you leave the toques on? If mine are in the barn in the straw when born I ususally don't have any trouble. Not that I never have tho'. gs

Dun, we will usually go about the same as you. A couple more than a week early then really get into it a couple days before they are due. But with this cold we've really had to be watching, just in case.

Greg, we leave the toques for as long as we can. I think by late afternoon they had their ears uncovered. Once their ears dry off they are usually good to go. I wish it were as easy as just putting them in the barn on straw, but it isn't insulated or heated, so when it is below -15 C (3-4 F) it is still darn cold in the barn, cold enough to freeze ears for sure! But at least no wind. Once we get calving, if it is cold and we have several cows staying in the barn, that will warm it up a lot, but 1 cow just doesn't do it.....

your calving season has started off with a bang congrats.an those twins are just to cute.