I guess it the season?

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Went to the back of the pasture to give a week old calf it polyserum shot and tag. Just to check things out. Seems the cow(first baby) has been neglecting the calve. Green snot, white eyes(watering) and dehydrated. Gave subQ Lactated Ringers(IV fluids). 3 cc Baytril and the polyserum shot. Also Genecin Spray in the eyes. Still have bowel movements. Got her to drink a half of a bottle of replacer. The vet said there would be a fairly good chance of the eyesight coming back. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I think we got her in time.

Scotty

subQ Lactated Ringers- Sound's like a your an E.M.T. Thats the best thing to do for fluids. It is much better than just water. Sounds as if you did all you could do. A good job I might add. Bout the only thing left is a good dose of hope. Sounds like you caught it in time, good luck.

Personally, I'd mix up a batch of electrolytes with warm water and tube the poor thing. It's amazing how fast they perk up once they get rehydrated, and sometimes a dose of electrolytes kind of kick starts a calf that's had a tough go of it.

Best wishes with your calf.

Take care.

Lactated Ringers is an old E.M.T trick. Its the same thing that you see when someone has lost a lot of blood. That clearish bottle of liguid hanging from the stretcher running to a I.V. is most of the time is either Lactated Ringers or normal saline. These 1000 mL IV fluid bags contain subcutaneous fluids, which is used for the treatment of dehydration and electrolyte depletion in animals. May be injected intravenously, subcutaneously or intraperitoneally (except horses) using aseptic technique. They require a vet to get them. Unless your a E.M.T. then you can get them for use on humans. Same thing just more expensive if they are for human use.

My wife is a vet. assistant. We have access to all the good stuff. Calve is doing great. Ate a full bottle this AM. Momma still doesn't know what to think.

Scotty

Scotty,

Great job of saving the calf.

Now's when you need a Jersey for the calf, and a trailer for the cow. You did say that it was her first calf, so maybe another try?

Latest posts