I Guess it is What I Get

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There is a sign on the freeway up north of Baker City that declares the 45th parallel. Half way between the north pole and the equator. I am now south of that line so that makes me a Southerner. As a result of being a Southerner I should learn to expect this weather. Thursday's forecast is 108. I melt above 100. But it could be worse. Hermiston which is north of the 45th parallel has a forecast of 111 for both Wednesday and Thursday.

TennesseeTuxedo":leaj2t9c said:
What's the humidity like?

Computer says it is 15%.

I know not like the southeast. I am in the south but it is the southwest. With these high temperatures and low humidity. Watch the fires blow up this week.

We went to McCall this past weekend (bad idea). No fires anywhere were allowed. Drove through a couple of places that had just had some pretty significant fires. In one place you could see the mountains still smoldering. In another we watched a helicopter fly off with a bucket full of water. We drove by the base camp for the firefighters, and in McCall we walked around the airport and checked out the smoke jumper base (from outside the fence). It's a tinderbox up here, and it's only going to get worse. If we can keep the lightning and idiots in check, we'll be fine. One of the big fires here was started by a moron shooting exploding targets. He confessed and will be paying for the bill for the rest of his life probably.

Bestoutwest":jfdo0xf5 said:
We went to McCall this past weekend (bad idea). No fires anywhere were allowed. Drove through a couple of places that had just had some pretty significant fires. In one place you could see the mountains still smoldering. In another we watched a helicopter fly off with a bucket full of water. We drove by the base camp for the firefighters, and in McCall we walked around the airport and checked out the smoke jumper base (from outside the fence). It's a tinderbox up here, and it's only going to get worse. If we can keep the lightning and idiots in check, we'll be fine. One of the big fires here was started by a moron shooting exploding targets. He confessed and will be paying for the bill for the rest of his life probably.

I was talking to the chief of the range land fire protection here. He said one of those Idaho fires was almost controlled and a landowner wouldn't let the firefighters plow a fire line across his property. The fire blew up and burned another 10,000 acres. I said that wouldn't make his neighbors happy. He replied, yep, especially the one whose house burned. He said that here they would just plow the line and worry about the outcome next January.

Dave":14x1wy4a said:
Bestoutwest":14x1wy4a said:

I was talking to the chief of the range land fire protection here. He said one of those Idaho fires was almost controlled and a landowner wouldn't let the firefighters plow a fire line across his property. The fire blew up and burned another 10,000 acres. I said that wouldn't make his neighbors happy. He replied, yep, especially the one whose house burned. He said that here they would just plow the line and worry about the outcome next January.

I can't believe they didn't pull eminent domain or something along the lines of "for the public good." That guy should be liable, and it's a good thing no one died. Freakin' idiot! I don't care what they'd drive through on my place, firefighters can plow away!

Dave":egjpaq0o said:
There is a sign on the freeway up north of Baker City that declares the 45th parallel. Half way between the north pole and the equator. I am now south of that line so that makes me a Southerner. As a result of being a Southerner I should learn to expect this weather. Thursday's forecast is 108. I melt above 100. But it could be worse. Hermiston which is north of the 45th parallel has a forecast of 111 for both Wednesday and Thursday.
Get one of the members from over Gawja way to send you the official southern dictionary so you can really fuss and cuss in "deep south lingo".

TexasBred":1602m0rc said:
Dave":1602m0rc said:
Get one of the members from over Gawja way to send you the official southern dictionary so you can really fuss and cuss in "deep south lingo".
No please don't... Nothing worse then hearing a Yankee trying to speak southern....it's like listening to white folks speak ghetto :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":3g85evix said:
TexasBred":3g85evix said:
Dave":3g85evix said:
No please don't... Nothing worse then hearing a Yankee trying to speak southern....it's like listening to white folks speak ghetto :cowboy:

Please don't insult me by referring to me a Yankee. Yankees live north of the Mason Dixon and east of the Mississippi. I am a Westerner.

When we had a big fire in 2011 that burned half of my place, the USDA didn't ask anybodies permission. They sent out three giant dozers to cut a fire line and that was that. The drivers though were exceptional and very professional. They did very little damage and drove through gates when possible even getting out to open a gate. It was almost like I had ranch roads where they went through.

It was a scary time but luckily didn't lose anything besides pasture which in 2011 wasn't much.

Latest posts