I guess I am officially old now.

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13":grnqrrp9 said:
How did you sign up? On line? What information is required?
By phone--if you go down to the SS office in person, they will just have you go to a computer terminal at SS office to fill out the application or they will set you up a phone interview--the ph interview may be weeks down the road.
You can do it on line, but if you have any 'unique' circumstances, it becomes tedious via computer. There is a time limit to sign up prior to you turning 65--supposed to do it before you get too close to your 65th birthday.
pm sent.

Here you can go to county extension office to get independent information from an individual who has all the latest information and software on companies available in your county, not a salesman peddling his product. Need to look a company's rating, A+ is what you're looking for.

You need to decide if your going with a medigap plan or Medicare Advantage. Need to consider your current health needs and future needs (if possible).

If you've been self employed an paying your own policy you're use to a high premium. Medicare Advantage plans are less costly, but less coverage and more deductible then other plans. Medi-gap plans vary and determine cost and coverage. The most expensive Medi-gap plan is an "F". They all go by letters, G,H, etc.

I can tell you from personal experience, just because a sales agent says something (and they been selling this for 20 years) does not mean they know all the answers. Just because the agent calls the company to get a clarification does not mean the company folks know the answer either. You need to do a lot of homework prior to signing for any plan. Especially important is part "D" coverage (prescription drugs you need or may need the next year)

I'll give you one example of why it's extremely important to know your situation and ask around. If you're a diabetic and take insulin by injection you pay for the insulin under part "D". Your policy probably pays 80% and you pay 20%. If you use the very same insulin, however use it in an insulin pump, Medicare part "B" (which all medicare folks have) pays 100%. That is ONE big difference.

Latest posts