I guess I’m haying

Help Support CattleToday:

Be good regrowth. With some timely rain you may even get a second. It will take over completely.
For our situation, a weed that only needs water and abuse to grow and keeps a cow in good shape can't be beat.
Dad planted about 30 acres of it in some low peat ground in about 1979. It is now in every field to some degree. The problem I have with it is that it is ready weeks before the other hay varieties in the same field. I guess I just need to learn to take advantage of it better.

Just walked in the house. Blew a hydraulic hose. Back widow open I got a good shower of hydraulic fluid in the cab. That'll do it for tonight.
View attachment 5260
That's a poor way to end the day. I'm envious of that crop though. It looks like it's getting dark in that picture, what time does it get dark there now?

That's a poor way to end the day. I'm envious of that crop though. It looks like it's getting dark in that picture, what time does it get dark there now?
Must be pretty late as today was our shortest day but don't laugh Silver it is getting dark at 5.00pm. Anyhow it's downhill now to spring.

Ken

View attachment 5258We seem to be getting a lot of volunteer meadow foxtail, it matures so fast you might as well cut it before it gets stemmy.
Looks nice ! I did the very same thing with a field that out of the blue had a strong crop of Brooms edge Bed Straw (false babies breath, they say) . Same thought, get it before it gets too stemmy.

Just walked in the house. Blew a hydraulic hose. Back widow open I got a good shower of hydraulic fluid in the cab. That'll do it for tonight.
View attachment 5260
What do I get for chuckling at you? … By the way, it was 80F at 7 AM this morning 😒…. Hooked to the cutter early this morning even though rain showers were in the forecast for today. Tractor had a half tank of fuel so I was going to top off after hooking up the cutter. As I was driving past the fuel tank I remembered…so I stop and back up, only about 15 ft. Get off and prepare for fueling, flip the switch, pump starts running but nothing comes out. Look at the filter and is bubbling air even though the tank is 80% full. I decide it's no problem for now as I wasn't going to cut much over 10 acres.

I turn around after hanging the hose up and notice a tire under the cutter, which is now leaning and obvious something is bad wrong…..🤔. Deep breath of relief while discovering just a dry rotted tire run off the rim and not a broken axel. Went to town for a tire, didn't have one so it's tomorrow morning before the tire comes in. Pick up a new transfer pump while I'm in town, install it and fuel up the tractor… by now I'm soaked in sweat even though it's cloudy and windy. Look at the time and it's almost 1PM so I brake for lunch and a cool down.

Check the stock market and it's recovered Friday's loss…hope it holds…did a little book work and decide to tackle putting the new alternator on the tractor I've been spraying with. Already had it off once and discovered the wire to the capacitor had corroded into. Put a new terminal on and reinstalled hoping that would do the trick…no such luck. Got it on, tractor cranked up and I set in the cab soaking up the cool air for a bit. I've soaked the second set of clothes today….sigh…

Still to windy to spray so I decide to move the markers I use as guides when spraying. Look at the time and it's 6PM…

Lesson for the day….Don't laugh at fence. 😎

BTW…market held, recovered Friday's loss plus a little. 🤫

I'm way too chicken to run a disc mower with the windows open. I've seen them shoot rocks like a bullet.
I ran the discbine and batwing for years with an open station 7610, finally broke down and built a screen for the back and right side of the rollbar out of steel mesh last year after one too many rocks flew past my noggin.

What do I get for chuckling at you? … By the way, it was 80F at 7 AM this morning 😒…. Hooked to the cutter early this morning even though rain showers were in the forecast for today. Tractor had a half tank of fuel so I was going to top off after hooking up the cutter. As I was driving past the fuel tank I remembered…so I stop and back up, only about 15 ft. Get off and prepare for fueling, flip the switch, pump starts running but nothing comes out. Look at the filter and is bubbling air even though the tank is 80% full. I decide it's no problem for now as I wasn't going to cut much over 10 acres.

I turn around after hanging the hose up and notice a tire under the cutter, which is now leaning and obvious something is bad wrong…..🤔. Deep breath of relief while discovering just a dry rotted tire run off the rim and not a broken axel. Went to town for a tire, didn't have one so it's tomorrow morning before the tire comes in. Pick up a new transfer pump while I'm in town, install it and fuel up the tractor… by now I'm soaked in sweat even though it's cloudy and windy. Look at the time and it's almost 1PM so I brake for lunch and a cool down.

Check the stock market and it's recovered Friday's loss…hope it holds…did a little book work and decide to tackle putting the new alternator on the tractor I've been spraying with. Already had it off once and discovered the wire to the capacitor had corroded into. Put a new terminal on and reinstalled hoping that would do the trick…no such luck. Got it on, tractor cranked up and I set in the cab soaking up the cool air for a bit. I've soaked the second set of clothes today….sigh…

Still to windy to spray so I decide to move the markers I use as guides when spraying. Look at the time and it's 6PM…

Lesson for the day….Don't laugh at fence. 😎

BTW…market held, recovered Friday's loss plus a little. 🤫
Well that was an intense hour of wind and rain…
2.9 inches. At least the grass was still green enough it stayed it the field. Lol

View attachment 5260

Fence, what tractor and mower (size) are you using? I have a 5075E and it looks similar. Im looking into maybe getting some hay equipment sometime and trying to figure out what to pair it up with.

Fence, what tractor and mower (size) are you using? I have a 5075E and it looks similar. Im looking into maybe getting some hay equipment sometime and trying to figure out what to pair it up with.
I'm using a 5100. But have a 5085
I have several cutters. The 5085 will handle a 10' haybine no issues. Definitely fine on a disc mower. as well as new Holland 660 baler.
The 5100 is the same wieght as the 5085 just a little more hp.
Jd sells a hay package for the 5075.
You might look at it for comparison.

Latest posts