I forgot to put out the bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Rydero

Reaction score
It's been hectic trying to finish seeding and having a job too. We've bounced our calving start date around a few times the last few years as well. Had it in my head that bulls would go out on the 15th. The other day I look at my calving calculator and realized I was 3 days late. I guess the start date is March 18th next year. I hastily took out a couple boys to the main herd. PXL_20210609_220533063.MP.jpgPXL_20210609_220723168.jpgPXL_20210609_212823149.jpgPXL_20210609_212803027.MP.jpg

Let the last one out at home with any pairs that weren't ready to haul and a couple of heifers. Took a little convincing for momma to let me breed them Char but they're big and well developed, plus we only assisted one cow off these 3 bulls last year.

Went till about 10 last night to finish all but one 10 acre field and today we got an inch of rain! Went to pick up grasshopper bait/poison today to broadcast before the zillion tiny ones I'm seeing everywhere get big and eat everything I seeded.

Went for a cow check after I got back. Still have at least one I can pet. One of the heifers we had at home last summer.PXL_20210611_230700956.jpgPXL_20210611_230355213.jpgPXL_20210611_230357494.jpg

Everything appears in fine form, the cows appear to be in great shape for breeding.
Around here elk calving season is in full swing, there are single cows spaced out all over the hay fields with new calves or about to calve. Pretty soon they will be taking their prizes back to the main herds to show them off.

Today was moving day. Got lucky this morning and they were all bunched up and spotted me. All I had to do was open the gate and check for stragglers. Grass is maturing quickly now so it's time to quickly get them through the paddocks to get things re-growing while the moisture lasts.They're on solar waterer now so need to be checked every day without exception. Better hurry up and finish checking fences.
PXL_20210613_154737413.jpgPXL_20210613_154806661.jpg

Cattle look great - so now lets discuss the building in the background with a tank and solar panels. ???
My solar pumphouse. Very small, very well insulated. Built over a well with a mining tire trough 3/4 or more inside the building. Pump drains back to the well when not pumping. In winter the pill switch just needs to be checked/freed from the ice and it's good for the day. I have a woodstove in there if I feel like putting a fire on too. In the summer I fill the tank and gravity feed the trough for quicker refill/more water capacity.

The site is located in the corner of one quarter section where 3 quarter sections I own and one I rent all meet. Right now I have a holding area (1 acre?) and access to 4 pastures. Need to build a runway and it can water 6 pastures. In winter I'll put feed in all 4 pastures once a week and just open gates every couple days to feed. A very handy little pumphouse - especially these days when dugouts are drying up. If you really want to take advantage of rotational grazing/extensive wintering one of the first things to plant is a well in a good spot.

Well breeding season already isn't going as planned. Went to check the water the other day and one bull injured his rear leg and is laying in the bush pouting and one looks like he sprained his dink. Had to borrow a yearling for insurance. My Oldest bull is still going strong too thankfully. Was going to take two yearlings but one crawled through a trough and some boards when we brought him up so he can stay where he is.PXL_20210701_003151110.jpg

Latest posts