I figured y'all would want to see...Now with feed Question.

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy-":z2icdnvf said:
msscamp":z2icdnvf said:
flaboy-":z2icdnvf said:
Alfalfa for horses runs $15-$30 per square bale down here. T/A runs $10-$20/bale.

What size bales?

Little square bales. Maybe 80 pounds. I feed mine out of a 5x6 round bale of Bahia free choice. I give them Coastal after feeding in the evening if they want it.

Wow!! :shock: :shock:

Easy keepers get a little alfalfa and basically free choice bermuda, one to two cups of calf manna.

For heavier feeding I give more alfalfa and a coffee can of rolled barley in summer, sweet mix (has oats wheat and corn I think, with molasses) plus the calf manna 2 x per day

When I can get oat hay I like to use that instead of bermuda.

anybody that works gets grain - coffee can morning and night

another hippie?? just what we needed lol
Your feeding program makes you sound more like a horseman than a dopesmoker...i like it

welcome....hippie or no hippie :)

I agree with the other comments that the wound should heal very nicely and about the weight issue I don't think he is under weight. It looks like his ribs are slightly visable but do not stick out which is good. If you think that he needs more weight be sure to choose a sugar free supplement as the regular feeding of sugar can damage the liver. I think that its you that needs to make the final decision to whether he is underweight. Don't try to put weight on him before he finishes filling out. :D Luckysgirl

3MR":2i2odcao said:
Not to disagree, but with the drought and shortage of hay, alfalfa may be the only choice left, Everything cheaper is getting bought up real quick. IMO, in a paddock situation, you can feed measured amounts of the Alfalfa as a supplement to lesser quality hay that may not have the nutritional content. I have done this in the past and have never had a problem.

I know other people who do the same thing with no ill effect.

I hear ya, and have done it myself a time or two, but in this situation, with a youngster confined to a pen with an injury, I sure would be hesitant to feed something with as high a protein content as the alfalfa has and no outlet for him to burn it off. The alfalfa I've had tested has come out to anywhere between 16% and 18% protein, and I've found that it gives them alot of energy. I would think that you'd want to keep that colt pretty quiet while his shoulder knits.

The good thing is that first cutting is in now so finding good quality coastal hay is a bit easier than it was a month ago.

So bubchub, how about an update on your colt!

Latest posts