I dont know whats wrong with my heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

jlopez

Reaction score
On May 5, I had taken my show heifer to be bred by artificaial insemination, When I brought her back I noticed that my heifer was prolapsing and I think its cause of the feed I used to feed her not the artificaial insemination. Im feeding her a diffrent kind of feed already. I treated the prolapse by puting preperation h and pushing it back into her. By the way its was rectal. It seemed to have work because when she lays down it doesnt come out any more. But after i treated the prolapse and it doesnt come out anymore I saw that when she lays down all of her poop is almost being fored out of her butt. Im not sure if she is still prolapsing but just internally. Another thing she isnt able to move her tail. I spoke to the vet that did the AI and he told me he gave her an epidural and maybe it messed up one of her nerves. I would really apperciate your comments and advise on how I can treat this problem. I was thinking that maybe because of the epidural she cant push the poop out regularly or because she cant lift her tail it is not coming out. when she lays down poop comes out but very slow and clumpy, I have a feeling she can push it out but something is stoping her. Her poop also is very dry and i was reading that when their poop is dry they need more protien. Could that be a cause maybe?

What vet would block to AI ,no one blocks anymore for that ? You block to put in a prolapse and that is about it. :?

Sounds like he hit a main nerve and did some very serious damage. Get her into another vet asap !

It certainly sounds like damage from epidural or trauma to tailhead such as tail tied up and cow let out. Either way there is very little can be done other than time, and hoping it comes right. I think you should go back to the vet and give him a last chance to explain what went wrong and to work something out for you.
Ken

I would be taking the heifer to, or at least talking to another, more experienced, reputable livestock vet, to see a) what he thinks is the cause and b) if there is any hope to treat it. I would then go back to the first vet armed with the knowledge, and demand some sort of compensation. You should NOT have to put up with a disabled heifer because of his mistake. He shouldn't have blocked her to AI, and even if he did block her, he shouldn't have stuffed it up that badly.

It really sounds like the veterinarian does not know how to AI a cow. I certainly would not use the same vet to see if she is pregnant.

Ditto taking her to a different veterinarian and explaining the situation. If she is actually prolapsing, you would want a competent vet to examine her. Preparation H will not cure the problem.

Chances are she will not regain the use of her tail.

As far as her pooping while laying down. We have some cows that do that all of the time. I guess that they are too lazy to stand up to poo. They will poop while standing or walking, but if they happen to be laying down, they poo while laying down.

Good luck with your heifer.

Latest posts