I don't know if this is the place for this but....

Help Support CattleToday:

Back on the tail issue. Australian Cattle Dogs (blue/ red healers) are SUPPOSED to have their full tail. Some yo-yo in Ohio (I think) started a seperate line of "stubbies" as they were called.
The tail is their "flag" - when they're out working in the fields, you can always see their tail waving. I HATE DOCKED TAILS on Healers. Someone couldn't tell the difference between Australian Shepherds & Australian Cattle Dogs - thought they all should be docked. UGLY!!!!
It is not how the breed came over here from Australia & not how it is recognized in the AKC. I've owned the breed since about 1970. My latest healer is 9 years old now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3pm5hmi1 said:
Back on the tail issue. Australian Cattle Dogs (blue/ red healers) are SUPPOSED to have their full tail. Some yo-yo in Ohio (I think) started a seperate line of "stubbies" as they were called.
The tail is their "flag" - when they're out working in the fields, you can always see their tail waving. I HATE DOCKED TAILS on Healers. Someone couldn't tell the difference between Australian Shepherds & Australian Cattle Dogs - thought they all should be docked. UGLY!!!!
It is not how the breed came over here from Australia & not how it is recognized in the AKC. I've owned the breed since about 1970. My latest healer is 9 years old now.

Hooray, a right thinker when it comes to heeler tails. I thought it started in CA since I started seeing it there almost 20 years ago.
It seems to have fallen out of vogue to breed herding animals for the type of herding they were originally developed. Years ago we considred some breed to be "to you" herders and someto be "from you" herders. Australian Shperds were considered "too YOU' types. You opened the gate and stood there and they brought the animals to you. The from you breeds herded away from you and still put them through the gates.
But that was many years ago in a land far, far away.

dun

Could someone post that picture? Big brother won't let me get to the site where the picture is. Maybe we could fly her down here. I would pay of course for the ticket. I need the picture though.

I like that - "to you" & "from you" - other wise known as headers & healers. Headers gather stock, healers "push" stock. I am fortunate. My healer WILL gather also - very "against" the natural instincts for the breed.
If I'm moving the herd & they start running in the wrong direction, I will start heading them off - and my healer Stetson will run ahead & turn them.
He will also bring cattle to an open gate for you. He's 9 years old now.
Aussies (Australian Shepherds) are headers, and Australian Cattle Dogs (blue healers) are (duh) healers. Aussies tend to be more hiper than I like. You don't need to TRAIN them to work cattle, you need to TRAIN them obedience. You must be able to get them to DROP at a dead run. Not an easy task. We always start our pups using voice commands & HAND signals. That way the dog is always watching you.

msscamp":1704noxz said:
Yes, I absolutely adore that face! BUT, I already have 3 dogs, it's a bit of a drive to where you are, and Dad would go ballistic if I brought another dog home!

Oh I,m sure he would forgive you ;-)

flaboy
apparently they have taken the picture off cause the link doesn't work for me now

frenchie":313kbdw0 said:
msscamp":313kbdw0 said:
Yes, I absolutely adore that face! BUT, I already have 3 dogs, it's a bit of a drive to where you are, and Dad would go ballistic if I brought another dog home!

Oh I,m sure he would forgive you ;-)

Uh huh, he'd forgive me alright.....All the way to the nearest bridge!! :(

Pic works for me..........a very fine looking dog she is! :)

And No, I would not dare take any more dogs in with the streak of luck or, lack there of I have had with them of late........Would not want to see anything happen to such a sweet dog.

If it isn't coyotes gettin them, it's trucks, cattle, wild pigs or something else that makes em disapear.

Ironicly, the last dog we got last week or so made it back to it's original home...for that I was mighty greatful. She has yet to bring it back though........hummmmmmmm :?:

certherfbeef":2u19ehyt said:
What is the reason she is the one left. Is she the runt of the litter? Is the roof of her mouth black?

What is the black roof a sign of?

Thanks everyone for the replies and the pup has found an excellent home! She is now on a farm where I hope she works out to be an excellent farm hand. Hard to beat a good dog!

no it's the French that are naturally tail-less
That puppy is Character. Those brown ears and black eye patch. looks like a pirate.

I think Blue and Red Heelers have a beautiful tail. I hate to see them with their tails docked. It is supposed to be a balancing thing for their sharp turns and stops. They are such intelligent animals.

Lee and Stacie, great name for the pup! Hope she works out perfect for you all. Thanks again for providing a wonderful home.

And Chuckie, I agree, the tail is supposed to balance them and I also hate to see one with the tail docked, it just doesn't look natural.

Now on a Doberman, they just wouldn't look right unless it was docked.

What a cute puppy! I LOVE healers but I like them without tails. Mine have always balanced just fine without them.

Latest posts