I don't care what you call it

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuckie":tvoa8owl said:
I thought it was just me. They love to do it over the telephone, and I tell them to slow down a bit.
Chuckie I just figured it out. Many years ago all I talked to were local Texicans on the phone or in person. Now I have these yanks calling on those 800 or 888 numbers all the time jabbering like a bird. then those yanks started moving down here and our kids started talking like them.....and I've still speaking and listening for the Texican drawl.

TexasBred":1utcnpo7 said:
Chuckie":1utcnpo7 said:
I thought it was just me. They love to do it over the telephone, and I tell them to slow down a bit.
Chuckie I just figured it out. Many years ago all I talked to were local Texicans on the phone or in person. Now I have these yanks calling on those 800 or 888 numbers all the time jabbering like a bird. then those yanks started moving down here and our kids started talking like them.....and I've still speaking and listening for the Texican drawl.

Send your kids off to college and they come home eating dinner at night time and saying "You Guys" left and right. TB I raised them better than that!

backhoeboogie":1v49wk5o said:
Send your kids off to college and they come home eating dinner at night time and saying "You Guys" left and right. TB I raised them better than that!

Yep...but mine got rid of the city talk about a little while. One still has some of it but lives in the city so I guess she's excused. The other one sounds like a good country girl. :nod: Of course being a pharmacist she has had to learn some jive and ghetto talk.

I have what is called a Tulare County Drawl. It is supposed to be the smallest dialect in the world and I get mistaken for being from Texas except for people from Texas who think I'm oakie or arkie. When you add in that I'm half deaf it makes just about everyone hard to understand,especially if I can't see their face. I know a gal that speaks "valley girl" and had facial surgery after an accident. I can stare right at her and watch her lips move and hear most of her voice and still not have a clue what she said.
When people speak like this? all the time? it is written on their face as well and non-verbal cues are half of communication.

The older I get, the more I find that I just don't like it much when people talk in general. Kinda like getting mail. It was something almost exciting about it when you were a kid. Then you realize that 90% of it is someone wanting money or just plain bs to be ignored.

There was a time that I thought texting was a bad idea. I have since changed my mind and decided that the glass is half full.

With a text, a whole conversation can be avoided with just a few words. If you call someone, there is the whole introduction, how are you doing bit, the meat of the conversation and then you have to create a way to end the conversation, plus the final farewell. With texting- a question or statement is made, and a simple answer of yes, no or ? can follow summing up an entire conversation in seconds.

I also enjoy the fact that I don't have to silence my phone to ignore a texter, or wonder if what they were calling about was really important, or worse yet, have to waste time listening to a voice mail.

I appreciate that generally, I can phonetically deduce what the individual was attempting to communicate. A big plus for someone that is partially deaf.

I can chose to respond or most importantly- not respond.

Jo, maybe the answer to your woes is also in texting. It might not be as grating to read "stupid" as it is to have to listen to it?

Texasbred, I have had different explanations for this. One person came up with this theory.
People up North talk faster because it is colder.
People down South talk slower because it is hot. :lol2:

So how does that explain James Carville. He was born in Louisiana.

Chuckie":2kxnkxkq said:
Texasbred, I have had different explanations for this. One person came up with this theory.

Liberals have to talk fast to stay ahead of their lies.

Chuckie":18kfrq3c said:

He looks and sounds like he came off a UFO. :lol2:

I love letting these 20 somethings rattle at 100mph for about a minute or two and then make them repeat it all at 1/2 speed so I can understand it.

3waycross":1ursr59l said:
I love letting these 20 somethings rattle at 100mph for about a minute or two and then make them repeat it all at 1/2 speed so I can understand it.
I would probably do what I do when someone talkes to loud. Walk away, when they talk loud I tell them they must be talking to someone a long ways away. The others I would tell them that since I can;t understand them I don;t want to waste my time trying to understand.

I habla Southern. No Spanish, Not yankee, not valley, not left coast. I do OK with Eastern Seaboard south of New Jersey. I can make myself understood in Chicago, and am fluent in Coon a$$. I can talk Doctor, Lawyer and Bank pretty well, but engineering and physics require a translator. One young "lady" got real P.O.ed with me because I said to let me speak to an English speaker.

This is one of the reasons I spend most of my time in a pasture or out in the woods. That way I don't have to talk to anyone. And I don't care how they talk. When the grocery clerk tells me to "have a good day". I reply, "don't tell me what kind of day to have." The older I get the more I understand hermits.