I did it again.

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Seems like once every like every year or two I pull a stunt like this. I was driving through the cows today (I think they are all in off the range now) and I spotted this. This is one of the last calves born this spring, and I have no excuse for getting the sex wrong (and giving him a heifers tag) on this calf other than I was tired and my give a damn was broken. As a result this calf still has his nuts. Born April 17, making him 166 days old. Oh well.

11FAF024-B6D0-4911-92F3-16EDA6374381.jpeg

Last edited:
I put ST on the steers tags so I can see what they are at night when they're facing me

I put ST on the steers tags so I can see what they are at night when they're facing me
My heifers get a white tag, bottom number is it's birth order followed by the year letter (1K for first born this year) with mothers number on top. Steers get an orange tag with only the mothers number on it.
The trick is you have to be smart enough to be able to tell the difference between males and females prior to tagging. 🥴

You're in good company! Last year, the 2nd calf born was 4 weeks earlier than anticipated, but still huge. Mama is our oldest cow and even though it was -20 wind chill, she's a pro and had that calf up & nursing in no time. Took a glance, bigazz bull calf, all good. Decided to name it Bart, after a local radio station mascot (Bart the Radio Bovine). Bull calves get tagged in the right ear and I tagged, First Defense, Inforce 3 no problem, calf was good to go. Except a few days later . . . . ummm, where's his junk? Okay, so, what I initially saw was a big, furry navel. And I'll be damned if I was taking off my gloves in that cold just to cop a feel. My bad! But she's butt ugly and a big, strappin' farm girl, so she kept the name Bart. And the rest of the story? Yup, I kept Bart as a replacement because her lineage is one of my most prolific. Her pelvic measurements were HUGE and, just based on observation, looks like she got bred by Tallywacker right off the bat when I turned him out in May.

I tag steers in the right ear, and heifers in the left ear. I have hastily tagged a calf in the wrong ear, but I usually catch them when branding; probably had a not so happy mama cow breathing down my back.

Vet asked my why all my calves have tags in the right ear. I explained that I'm right handed and that's the side I'm holding the tagger in when I straddle the little buggers. The replacements get permanent tags at yearling age and the bulls get theirs when we get them ready for picture day.

Bull calves get yellow tags, most females get green unless it is definitely on my cow and then females get a white tag. But sometimes they are just sleeping so the females get a green and then if it is seen nursing one of my cows, I will make a note and if I keep it as a replacement then it gets changed to white. Or they don't get tagged until getting ready to put them out for summer pasture, and then they get tagged going through the chute. I will go around and match them when we start grouping to go to pastures... Son has been in a hurry and tagged a couple of my heifer calves with yellow tags... this past year... when we went to gather the steers up have had to stop him and say, NO those are heifers you put the wrong tags in...
The guy who used to own the farm he bought, used to do the bulls in one ear, females in the other... but colors are much easier for son to get right and he carries the "tagging box" with him so not a big deal to take a green or yellow with him. they usually get the dam's number if known... but often times now I have just started with the year, 1 for 21 and then started numbering... like 101, and such. He can't keep them straight half the time anymore so a simple number is better for at least the steer calves. The steers all get sold so not a big deal, and I will change the heifers numbers when they are confirmed preg as keeper replacements; to a number that identifies them as the "family number" they are from .....and who their dam is and sometimes even have their sire on the tags.

Seems like once every like every year or two I pull a stunt like this. I was driving through the cows today (I think they are all in off the range now) and I spotted this. This is one of the last calves born this spring, and I have no excuse for getting the sex wrong (and giving him a heifers tag) on this calf other than I was tired and my give a damn was broken. As a result this calf still has his nuts. Born April 17, making him 166 days old. Oh well.

View attachment 21680
Nice calf.....for less than 6 months....

View attachment 21680

That's a dandy calf...if you put him on Craigslist people will probably want to hire you thinking you have mad photoshopping skills

We banded one just last week. He got missed when he was born. Got missed at branding. Got missed at pre weaning shots. Again at weaning and shots that day. Last week we were moving the calves to another field. Had to go through the corral to do this. Cut off one with horns and 4 pink eyes to work. In doing this I spotted a bull. Then we had to find him again hiding in 183 calves. But he is a steer now.

We banded one just last week. He got missed when he was born. Got missed at branding. Got missed at pre weaning shots. Again at weaning and shots that day. Last week we were moving the calves to another field. Had to go through the corral to do this. Cut off one with horns and 4 pink eyes to work. In doing this I spotted a bull. Then we had to find him again hiding in 183 calves. But he is a steer now.
Just how late is it safe to work them? I've seen those banners that you crank on to tighten them up a lot older than 6-8 months

View attachment 21680
Do you raise and sell any as replacement bulls?
I don't know about there, but around here, he would be pretty desirable for at least a small outfit's bull.

We buy quite a few 4-6 wt bull calves at discounted prices and use the Callicrate bander on them. Shot of tetanus, kept in the barn lot for at least a week to keep an eye on them..get 'em used to the feed bunk and waterer..... then give vacs, shots and out they go with others of similar size. Make up groups of steers to sell; besides what we wean off our own cows.

Do you raise and sell any as replacement bulls?
I don't know about there, but around here, he would be pretty desirable for at least a small outfit's bull.
I have raised the very odd one for my own use, but not for sale. It's not a game I'm currently set up for and even if I was I'm not sure I'd want to play it.
I watched Dad do it 40 years ago and it looked like more trouble than it was worth.

View attachment 21680
It wouldn't be the worst bull I've seen on these threads...

Latest posts