I caught a chicken thief

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Caught this little rascal in a live trap using a honeybun as bait. She is the 2nd one caught this week. Something has been killing young poults in my mother's chicken coop. The first one was a full grown female and boy was she mean. This one almost acted tame. I turned them loose on my farm a couple of miles away. Maybe they won't return to mischief....
downsized_0801090920.jpg

HOSS":3lkr22je said:
Caught this little rascal in a live trap using a honeybun as bait. She is the 2nd one caught this week. Something has been killing young poults in my mother's chicken coop. The first one was a full grown female and boy was she mean. This one almost acted tame. I turned them loose on my farm a couple of miles away. Maybe they won't return to mischief....
downsized_0801090920.jpg

Good for you on turning them loose. They kill any chickens?

Good luck on them not coming back. And they'll be a lot harder to catch the second time around.

HerefordSire":utfqnhmt said:
HOSS":utfqnhmt said:
downsized_0801090920.jpg

Good for you on turning them loose. They kill any chickens?

They kilt several poults and a couple of laying hens over the last few weeks.

Frankie":p3dnee29 said:
Good luck on them not coming back. And they'll be a lot harder to catch the second time around.

I released them a couple of miles from where they were caught. My farm is prime coon habitat complete with creeks, ponds and mature hardwoods. They should be able to stay fat on the millions of frogs swarming in my ponds. I don't think they will go back.....at least I hope not.

HOSS":1980t7jg said:
downsized_0801090920.jpg

I think I would have put the laser sight between its eyes and put a hollow point 40 cal bullett in its head. Varmints carry diseases, especially coons.

I think I would have put the laser sight between its eyes and put a hollow point 40 cal bullett in its head. Varmints carry diseases, especially coons.

So do all other livestock as well as pet dogs and cats....a bit of "overkill" with the 40 cal.

HOSS coons do have a tendency to come back to their home territory. If you catch him again you might need to take him to the other side of town. ;-)

TexasBred":p62tyd2h said:

So do all other livestock as well as pet dogs and cats....a bit of "overkill" with the 40 cal.

HOSS coons do have a tendency to come back to their home territory. If you catch him again you might need to take him to the other side of town. ;-)

Right that is why I kill all stray animals, dogs, cats, coons, lions, tigers, bears, oh my.

TexasBred":1jpevg06 said:

TB,
I have a soft spot for the little rascals. I had a pet one as a kid and they are pretty smart. You can almost see the wheels turning in their heads as they think through a problem. If they go back I may have to take more drastic measures but it won't include my S&W Sigma 40VE.....Yes I have one too....mine has the light grey / blue polymer frame. Not a bad weapon for the cost but does not come close to my Kimber or Glock in quality, accuracy or feel.

HOSS":1vt0s17x said:
TexasBred":1vt0s17x said:

TB,
I have a soft spot for the little rascals. I had a pet one as a kid and they are pretty smart. You can almost see the wheels turning in their heads as they think through a problem. If they go back I may have to take more drastic measures but it won't include my S&W Sigma 40VE.....Yes I have one too....mine has the light grey / blue polymer frame. Not a bad weapon for the cost but does not come close to my Kimber or Glock in quality, accuracy or feel.

Nor does it come close to my springfield 1911 TRP either but still a good gun. Same thing as a glock. Glock sued smith and wesson over the sigma. Same innards, same slide, same polymer frame. The only difference is 10-12 pound stock trigger pull. You can get that adjusted down to 7 like I did by polishing the sear and removing two of the three trigger springs. I didnt like the Glocks I shot as they felt cheap. People complain about the accuracy of the sigma. I personally think though they just dont know how to shoot with a gun that has that heavy of a trigger. ON human sihllouette targets I hit chest to mid section every time without the laser turned on. With the laser turned on I can put it through the same hole nearly every time. At 7, 10, and 25 feet. Of course I go to the range at least twice a week both indoor and outdoor so it could be i practice alot. Im saving my money right now to get me another gun. I want a springfield xd 40.

TexasBred":pyg4rxkm said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: Giv'em hel Rambo :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not rambo. Just get tired of people bashing a good gun. Ive had no trouble with accuracy on it even before I had the trigger adjusted.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":2zq4e31n said:
TexasBred":2zq4e31n said:

Not rambo. Just get tired of people bashing a good gun. Ive had no trouble with accuracy on it even before I had the trigger adjusted.

Then stuff it under your belt and enjoy it. I'll keep my old 45 ACP...it's all I need. Better yet my old shotgun with a load of 00 buckshot.

TexasBred":1un8fqkl said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":1un8fqkl said:
TexasBred":1un8fqkl said:

Then stuff it under your belt and enjoy it. I'll keep my old 45 ACP...it's all I need. Better yet my old shotgun with a load of 00 buckshot.

I really enjoy my springfield 1911 trp 45 acp stainless with rosewood grips all though I took those off and put crimson trace laser grips on it so now the grips are black.

Frankie":2xx8wqqo said:
You got that right Frankie! For everyone you catch there are probably ten that outsmarted that trap. I have been battling the nasty varmits all summer.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":1yzpj8b8 said:
TexasBred":1yzpj8b8 said:

I guess I missed the post where someone bashed the Sigma. As I said it is a good gun for the money but you cannot expect it to be on par with the kimbers, Glocks or springfields. If I hated mine i would have sold it long ago.

A lady I know had trouble with them in her garden (they love sweet corn). She trapped them and took them to KY, across the Ohio River, and turned them loose there. Two miles is just a day trip for them.

john250":3miy6kng said:
A lady I know had trouble with them in her garden (they love sweet corn). She trapped them and took them to KY, across the Ohio River, and turned them loose there. Two miles is just a day trip for them.

They are smart as a whip too. I once hung two stringers of catfish in a tree to keep the turtles and snakes off them. When I came back the coons were in the tree hanging down trying to grab a free meal. It was funny. When I put the light on them they all scampered down the tree except for the one that was hanging by one arm trying to reach the fish - he fell in. It was hilarious to watch.

Latest posts