I can't stop laughing...

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":svz64mo1 said:
I'm a good rider and a he// of a roper.
Just not at the same time....

Sounds like my lay-up shot. Couldn't run and throw the basketball at the same time (although I had a great foul shot). Guess that's why I got cut from the team in 8th grade. :cry2:

Age has a way of catching up with everyone, cowboys included. Several years ago I had a cow with hoof rot. She was over in summer pasture where there are no working facilities. I was going to take the horse over, rope her and tie her down like I have done hundreds of times before. Then being over 60 at the time, I got to thinking. She has foot rot and isn't going to run off. I loaded up half a dozen panels. I set them up along the fence. Walked her down the fence into my little make shift pen and loaded her in the trailer. Hauled her home, ran her through the chute, and took her back before her calf even noticed she was gone.
Instead of cowboying up I farmered up. A year or so later I sold the horse. I wonder if there is somewhere I am suppose to send my chaps and spurs to?

Dave":3vwzeebm said:
Age has a way of catching up with everyone, cowboys included. Several years ago I had a cow with hoof rot. She was over in summer pasture where there are no working facilities. I was going to take the horse over, rope her and tie her down like I have done hundreds of times before. Then being over 60 at the time, I got to thinking. She has foot rot and isn't going to run off. I loaded up half a dozen panels. I set them up along the fence. Walked her down the fence into my little make shift pen and loaded her in the trailer. Hauled her home, ran her through the chute, and took her back before her calf even noticed she was gone.
Instead of cowboying up I farmered up. A year or so later I sold the horse. I wonder if there is somewhere I am suppose to send my chaps and spurs to?

I was always told to work smarter not harder. And if you're going be dumb you better be tuff. Sounds like you have it figured out Dave.

I used to think that the locals ropers were awful until I learned to ride a horse, then I saw the light, so to speak. Even the local guys are pretty talented.

And there's nothing more fun then dropping your hand with a cutting horse under you and peppy little calf in front of you. Talk about an adrenaline rush.....

True Grit Farms":mfzbw86f said:
Dave":mfzbw86f said:

I was always told to work smarter not harder. And if you're going be dumb you better be tuff. Sounds like you have it figured out Dave.

I don't know that the smarter than harder applies here. If you know how to do it, it is pretty simple to rope a cow and lay her down. A good horse and a rope.... slam bam and it is done. It was probably more work to do it this other way. It is more that at 60 plus I don't hop on and off a horse like I did in my 20's or 30's. I am also not nearly as catty on the ground. If I would have had a partner that day I am certain we would have gone and stretched her out. It would have been quicker and easier to rope her. I am just not as young as I once was.
I really cheat now. I bought a dart gun. Oh how some modern inventions simplify a cowboys life.

Dave":17xchney said:
True Grit Farms":17xchney said:
Dave":17xchney said:

I don't know that the smarter than harder applies here. If you know how to do it, it is pretty simple to rope a cow and lay her down. A good horse and a rope.... slam bam and it is done. It was probably more work to do it this other way. It is more that at 60 plus I don't hop on and off a horse like I did in my 20's or 30's. I am also not nearly as catty on the ground. If I would have had a partner that day I am certain we would have gone and stretched her out. It would have been quicker and easier to rope her. I am just not as young as I once was.
I really cheat now. I bought a dart gun. Oh how some modern inventions simplify a cowboys life.
Dart guns are great, I use one even in the feedlot where I have all the pens and chutes I'd need. If it's only one calf I'll stick a dart in it and never upset tho whole pen. Also doesn't get that one calf all hot and winded going into the chute.
Now if I have several to pull I'll run the through the chute.