I can't stop laughing...

Help Support CattleToday:

I have no desire to be a cowboy, especially if it means riding a horse. I like to look at horses, pet them, brush them, I even like to smell them, just about anything but sit on them. Easy to see why the automobile became so popular so quickly!! I envy all of you who get so much pleasure from riding.

City Guy":1841s6vv said:
I have no desire to be a cowboy, especially if it means riding a horse. I like to look at horses, pet them, brush them, I even like to smell them, just about anything but sit on them. Easy to see why the automobile became so popular so quickly!! I envy all of you who get so much pleasure from riding.

The only thing worse than a boat is a horse.

This could go on a long time like the farm versus ranch discussion. But having drawn wages as a cowboy I sometimes get touchy about the subject. To me there are two kinds of cowboys. One is a rodeo cowboy. It is pretty self explanatory what they do. The second is a ranch cowboy. They work on a ranch working cattle often on horse back because the terrain and distances dictates horses as the mode of transportation. They are often required to rope and doctor cattle out in the wide open where there are no pens or chutes available. There are probably countless definitions and opinions on what makes a cowboy but to me there are both horses and cattle involved and the cowboy has a working knowledge of both.

Dave":3e740lct said:
This could go on a long time like the farm versus ranch discussion. But having drawn wages as a cowboy I sometimes get touchy about the subject. To me there are two kinds of cowboys. One is a rodeo cowboy. It is pretty self explanatory what they do. The second is a ranch cowboy. They work on a ranch working cattle often on horse back because the terrain and distances dictates horses as the mode of transportation. They are often required to rope and doctor cattle out in the wide open where there are no pens or chutes available. There are probably countless definitions and opinions on what makes a cowboy but to me there are both horses and cattle involved and the cowboy has a working knowledge of both.

Dave, your talking about real cowboy's.

True Grit Farms":wkc3oz54 said:
Dave":wkc3oz54 said:
TexasBred":wkc3oz54 said:
Bet he learned to be a cowboy by laying the book down and getting on the horse and listening to other real cowboys.

He may have learned a lot of things from a book. A person could learn a lot of things that you need to know about ranch management from a book. But he darn sure didn't learn how to be a cowboy from a book. There is only one place you learn how to do that. And that is sitting on the back of a horse with cows in front of you.

Well he wasn't the horse riding kind of cowboy. He had a Honda dirt bike of some sort. Being a successful cowboy is alot more than just riding a horse now a days.
I bet it's tough roping off that honda

Dave":26uox4bz said:
Dave some of them are confusing Cowboys (the real top hand kind) with cattle growers. They aren't the same. They both make their living off cattle, they are both good at what they do but they still aren't the same.

I know some cowmen that have not used a horse to work cattle--myself for one..we did when I was a teenager, but not since. I cannot in any way call myself any kind of a roper..and not much of a rider at all.

Several bus loads of tourist stop at the headquarters of a large ranch. The owner comes out and apologizes for having to leave quickly but his wife is in the hospital. He tells the crowd that they will be in equally good care as he has asked the ranch foreman to give them the grand tour of the ranch. The foreman drives up, gets out of the truck and begins to talk. A lady interrupts him and says, "Are you a real cowboy?". "Yes, mam, I think so. Be ranching for 40 plus years." She said, "Well you don't have on a cowboy hat, you are not wearing cowboy boots and you do not have a big belt buckle." He said, "Wow, you want me to look like a truck driver?"

I've roped one cow in my entire life out of the back of a 79 Chevy Luv with my dad driving. Trying to catch a Hereford that had pinkeye in both eyes. After 20 attempts I finally got her.

Couldn't be a real cowboy if I wanted to.

greybeard":3nhuxb0z said:
I know some cowmen that have not used a horse to work cattle--myself for one..we did when I was a teenager, but not since. I cannot in any way call myself any kind of a roper..and not much of a rider at all.

I haven't been on a horse around cattle in over 40 years, and don't plan to start.

I had a neighbor's bull get in my pasture a few years ago, and without asking me he got some cowboys in there with horses and dogs to get him out. It took me 6 months to get my cattle calmed back down to where they had been before.

Rafter S":2bdy44f3 said:
greybeard":2bdy44f3 said:

I haven't been on a horse around cattle in over 40 years, and don't plan to start.

I had a neighbor's bull get in my pasture a few years ago, and without asking me he got some cowboys in there with horses and dogs to get him out. It took me 6 months to get my cattle calmed back down to where they had been before.

If you ride a horse through your herd fairly regularly, and use horses to move them, they get used to the idea. If you pluck one out every now and then with a rope, it doesn't cause much of a stink.

Also, a cow can out maneuver a 4 wheeler, or a man on foot. Doesn't take them long to figure out how to do it either. A cow can't out maneuver a good horse. Once they figure that out, they become more complacent.

I see people on here all the time talking about not liking/having horses. I don't see how someone could raise cattle without a horse. I'd hate to think I had to mooch my whole herd in, to cut one out. Having to tag/work calves before they're a few hours old would be a pain. I'd rather take a couple of days a month, and do everything born since the last time.

Ps------Not claiming to be a cowboy. I know people take that monachor very seriously. Probably just a poser.

Rafter S":1lqsx80g said:
I'm okay as long as mine can't out maneuver a feed sack.
All I usually have to do is pick up a 5 gal bucket and they'll all be at the whatever gate I try to get thru.
(they've been disappointed many times to watch me pour what they think is 'their feed' into my old backhoe)

But I do greatly admire those that can rope and/or ride.

Bigfoot":2ppnrx10 said:
Rafter S":2ppnrx10 said:
greybeard":2ppnrx10 said:

If you ride a horse through your herd fairly regularly, and use horses to move them, they get used to the idea. If you pluck one out every now and then with a rope, it doesn't cause much of a stink.

Also, a cow can out maneuver a 4 wheeler, or a man on foot. Doesn't take them long to figure out how to do it either. A cow can't out maneuver a good horse. Once they figure that out, they become more complacent.

I see people on here all the time talking about not liking/having horses. I don't see how someone could raise cattle without a horse. I'd hate to think I had to mooch my whole herd in, to cut one out. Having to tag/work calves before they're a few hours old would be a pain. I'd rather take a couple of days a month, and do everything born since the last time.

Ps------Not claiming to be a cowboy. I know people take that monachor very seriously. Probably just a poser.

I agree bigfoot nothing more handy on the farm/ranch than a good cow horse. I bought a beautiful bay roan two year old gelding back in the spring, he is a grandson of Smart Little Lena and Peptoboonsmal. That colt has got to be the most natural ones I have worked with. I have had some good cow bred horses but I guess its like everything else, some have it some don't.

Im with you fence, I can do both just working on putting them together! :lol:

greybeard":3in0w725 said:

Yes sir. I always considered myself more of a 'faller' than a rider. I never was much good with horses. Both my wives have been dang good with them though.

Cowboys just like cowmem aren't created equal,
Just cause he's cowboy by trade doesn't mean he's good with cattle or horses for that matter.
I've seen the good ones ride in drop a loop on one and drag it out and not upset the herd.
Then there is the other kind that comes chousting cattle, stirring them up and running them through the fence.

Latest posts