I can't breath

Help Support CattleToday:

SimmAngus

Reaction score
For the last (3) years when I have gone to the cattle show and auction, I develop a cough and have trouble breathing, within 30 minutes of being there. I go outside, recover in 15 minutes or so, then back in and it re-develops. I work here on the farm with cattle all day and never have an issue. I am thinking it must be something like the hair spray maybe that you folks use. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Any suggestions, I enjoy the shows. :shock:

I have heard of them using shredded peanut shells for bedding at shows...are you alergic to peanuts?? maybe its from that dust???? I guess it could be from the hairsprays and stuff too but then i would think you would have trouble being around ANY types of hairspray or cleaning supplies...you know that kind of aerosole stuff

luvmymoo":e34ognk7 said:
I have heard of them using shredded peanut shells for bedding at shows...are you alergic to peanuts?? maybe its from that dust???? I guess it could be from the hairsprays and stuff too but then i would think you would have trouble being around ANY types of hairspray or cleaning supplies...you know that kind of aerosole stuff

Thanks- No I'm not alergic to peanuts, thought of the beading too but they use sawdust, and I've never had a problem around that. Cleaning supplies don't have this effect ethier. We don't use hairspray in our home, so I can't use that for a baseline.

At our county show, with the wind blowing the regular dust and shaving's dust around. All of us will develop cough and cold syptoms. I'm thinking it's just getting a nose full of the different dust that are blowing around and the different smells.
After it's over in a week, everybody clears back up.

mom

You might could have Asthma, i have it and i have to go outside every now and then and get clean fresh air and take a puff of my inhaler and inhale the clean fresh air then i go back in and i'm fine.

-bherefords":16til8n2 said:
You might could have Asthma, i have it and i have to go outside every now and then and get clean fresh air and take a puff of my inhaler and inhale the clean fresh air then i go back in and i'm fine.

I wondered about that, but it only seems to bother me in the room where they are grooming the animals. That's why I thought of the hairspray. Would that alone bring on asthma?

If you are the type that is allergic of someone wearing a lot of perfume or hair spray (have known some that were like this) then maybe it is the fitting products. There is a lot of chemicals flying around in the air at a show and especially in the area they are fitting them. Glues, paint, oils etc....

I dont know if you go through the dairy barns, but that always gets me. All the dust from the hay they use for bedding almost kills me. Sometimes it doesnt affect me for a little while too, then all of the sudden I can barely breath the rest of the day.

It definately SOUNDS like an alergy. Why not try an over-the-counter allergy product & take it PRIOR to going to a show & see if it works. I personnally like Claritin, does not make you sleepy like a lot of the other products, no side affects on me.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1w19v3qu said:
It definately SOUNDS like an alergy. Why not try an over-the-counter allergy product & take it PRIOR to going to a show & see if it works. I personnally like Claritin, does not make you sleepy like a lot of the other products, no side affects on me.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try.

Try using Aerius. It works great! I am allergicc to cats, dust, hay mold, grain mold, and grain dust, aswell as bee stings, and mosquito bites, and now that I use it everyday, I can shovel grain and pitch hay all day long!! It doesn't make you sleppy either.

It's the pine shavings we use for bedding and in the sale ring that hurt me. Once they're wetted down they don't bother me too much, but adding fresh can trigger the shortness of breath. Sitting too close to the sale ring is bad for me, too.

not sure what it could be,but be carefull around mouldy hay or grain as i have been in hospital for 8months with a rare form of meningitis which they think came from a round bail of hay that i had which was mouldy in the center.still not fully recovered

Latest posts