I Can Afford an Extra Case of Beer

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
with my SS raise. Better than not, I guess. Also, I'm hoping my retirement raise might buy the wife a bottle or two of cheap wine. :lol:

slick4591":o86w7odl said:
Lol I haven't seen a Falstaff around here in a long time.
And probably won't again. I think it was not long after y2k that the brand owner (Pabst) stopped making Falstaff.
Haven't seen a Carling Black Label beer either..they pretty much died off too..

greybeard":9jl2mtjb said:
slick4591":9jl2mtjb said:
And probably won't again. I think it was not long after y2k that the brand owner (Pabst) stopped making Falstaff.

There was a Carling brewery in Tacoma. It shut down 30 years ago, maybe more.

greybeard":28ta7qen said:
slick4591":28ta7qen said:

Sounds like it's gone the way of Jax. Those were both pretty prominent years ago. Along with Schlitz, which I also haven't seen in years.

Rafter S":1xyhy8ll said:
greybeard":1xyhy8ll said:
slick4591":1xyhy8ll said:

Sounds like it's gone the way of Jax. Those were both pretty prominent years ago. Along with Schlitz, which I also haven't seen in years.

Schlitz is back as I had a couple last year. BIL had our local liquor store order in a couple of cases.

Any of you old to enough to remember beer that came in a white can with "BEER" in black lettering down the side? My dad has told me about it, always wondered how bad it was. He was in college so he said it was alright, had alcohol. He also talks about $20 6 packs of Coors b/c it was sold east of the Mississippi. He went to college at University of Illinois.

Any of you old to enough to remember beer that came in a white can with "BEER" in black lettering down the side?
I never drank any but....

Brewed and once distributed by the conglomerate Miller Brewing Company, General Generic Beer (it's full name, by the way) was a cheap, some claim repugnant, Pilsner-style beer that reminded far too many of cat piss.
https://grub.gunaxin.com/fourteen-dead-beers/44964

We have relatives in Florida, so back in those days my dad would load up a couple cases of Coors to take to his brother when we would drive there.

'Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin...'

(now if I could just get someone in CentTex to bring me a load of real kolaches......)

In my early 20's you couldn't buy Coors in Washington. When I went to a rodeo in Idaho I would pick up a couple cases of Coors and sell it back in Washington for enough to pay my gas. I went to Texas in the fall of '73. I met a guy who asked why I didn't bring any Olympia beer with me. He had a beer distributorship. I asked why the heck he would want a Olympia when he had a warehouse full of Coors. I guess everyone wants what you can't get.

greybeard":vjo233ou said:
'Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin...'

(now if I could just get someone in CentTex to bring me a load of real kolaches......)

Back in September Czech Stop did a two day thing in Plano. I didn't go but I heard it was really crazy.

Bestoutwest":2nr9f1d8 said:
Any of you old to enough to remember beer that came in a white can with "BEER" in black lettering down the side? My dad has told me about it, always wondered how bad it was.

Someone gave me a can of it, probably 30 years or more ago. I was hot and tired and thirsty, and it still tasted awful. I looked at the fine print and saw that it was made by the Pearl brewing company.

I suspect it was made by more than one brewery, and may have varied in quality.

Latest posts