I broke my shovel handle

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Before anyone gets any ideas about me working so hard that I broke my shovel, I didn't and don't. This old shovel has been bouncing around in the back of my pickup for 3 years. It has come in handy for a lot of things. This morning me and the puppy were driving out the driveway to go the post office. There was a big rattle snake stretched out in the driveway. I grabbed the shovel out of the back of the pickup and went into attack mode. About the second swing at the snake my old shovel handle broke. I guess it was just too old to withstand the pressure. But it was still long enough to use to kill the snake. Eleven rattles and a button. He was over 3 feet long. Now I need to drive to town and get a new shovel.

The snakes rattles were wet. He had been down in the irrigation ditch getting a drink of water. One last drink for the condemned snake.

Attachments

• P6232578.JPG
    P6232578.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P6232579.JPG
    P6232579.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 38
I went to the scrap yard and bought some SS tubing and replaced the handle in my spade. Made it a bit longer since I'm 6'-4". It won't break. My neighbor who worked for the gas service co. said it couldn't be used by them since it would conduct electricity!

Attachments

• drain spade handle, 5' flail mower, new calf 001.jpg
    drain spade handle, 5' flail mower, new calf 001.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 11
  • drain spade handle, 5' flail mower, new calf 022.jpg
    drain spade handle, 5' flail mower, new calf 022.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 11
  • drain spade handle, 5' flail mower, new calf 003.jpg
    drain spade handle, 5' flail mower, new calf 003.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 10
  • drain spade handle, 5' flail mower, new calf 019.jpg
    drain spade handle, 5' flail mower, new calf 019.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
Before anyone gets any ideas about me working so hard that I broke my shovel, I didn't and don't. This old shovel has been bouncing around in the back of my pickup for 3 years. It has come in handy for a lot of things. This morning me and the puppy were driving out the driveway to go the post office. There was a big rattle snake stretched out in the driveway. I grabbed the shovel out of the back of the pickup and went into attack mode. About the second swing at the snake my old shovel handle broke. I guess it was just too old to withstand the pressure. But it was still long enough to use to kill the snake. Eleven rattles and a button. He was over 3 feet long. Now I need to drive to town and get a new shovel.

The snakes rattles were wet. He had been down in the irrigation ditch getting a drink of water. One last drink for the condemned snake.
I would just buy a new handle . Last one I broke was working on the head of one very surprised armadillo !

I don't like replacing a good shovel, use over the years seems to thin the metal and they keep a good sharp edge for digging. New shovels tend to be heavy and just don't work the same.

Ken
Yep, my Father passed on leaving me all his "good" farm garden tools ... especially the ones reattached with a long nail, then bent at the end to keep it tight then taped. They're work the best. One even killed a snake the other day, but not a rattler.

I went to the scrap yard and bought some SS tubing and replaced the handle in my spade. Made it a bit longer since I'm 6'-4". It won't break. My neighbor who worked for the gas service co. said it couldn't be used by them since it would conduct electricity!
In this part of the world those shovels are called track shovels.

You know @Dave you are going to get a reputation as being a hard man on equipment. Seems like about a year back you broke a pitchfork handle also.
Yep, the pitch fork was about 18 months ago. I guess that is what happens when you run old worn out equipment. But that is all I can afford.

Latest posts