i bought a reg beefmaster bull yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

For that price I think we can all quit obsessing about his EPD's. NO?
I never said the bull didnt look good and actually I never knew what Gary paid for him until now. Yes I think he is a great looking Beefmaster bull for the money. I also think his calves will be very good in a commercial operation. As for my questions on EPD`s.... I thought that was what this forum was all about. Asking questions and getting advice and answers.

Circle H Ranch

hell its all good ..like i said..i didnt know nuthin bot epd's..was all a bonus to me so..

good or bad is how i learn whats what so..bring it kids....

gary

3waycross":2hqc30a9 said:
Looks like one heluva $1200 bull to me.

i may be wrong but with crossbreds like beefmaster and some of the breeders ive seen their papers are good wippin your hind end on

Cattleman200":3kd84h1g said:
I never said the bull didnt look good and actually I never knew what Gary paid for him until now. Yes I think he is a great looking Beefmaster bull for the money. I also think his calves will be very good in a commercial operation. As for my questions on EPD`s.... I thought that was what this forum was all about. Asking questions and getting advice and answers.

Circle H Ranch

Here's a link to the BBU online Sire Summary. I don't see anything that tells you how to read a set of papers, but it does have a "genetic trend" table that shows the average EPDs for the breed by year.

http://www.beefmasters.org/PDFs/2009/Ho ... reword.pdf

dieselbeef":ofgpjtu9 said:
i wanted to see if someone could help me read certificate of breeding. i bought him based on him not his paperwork. that was just a bonus to me and might help resale someday...

pics to come tomorrow...

16 mos old...

i loaded the pics onto ranchers.net but i dont know how to bring them over here.

its under dieselbeef beefmaster bull..maybe someone could bring the sheet over for me..

thanks

gary

In reading the papers, look at the "Individual Performance" box (right column). That gives your bull's own performance. Your bull ratioed 103 for birth weight. Using ratios, 100 is average in a contemporary group, so he was heavier at birth than the average calf in his contemporary group. His WW ratio was also above average @ 102 with an adjusted 205 day weight of (it's hard to read, but I think) 640 lbs. Apparently there wasn't a yearling weight reported on him? Or it just hasn't been recorded by the BBU yet? The contemporary group consisted of two animals. The BBU Sire Summary may explain whether bulls and heifers are ratioed together or not.

If I'm reading the sire summary right, his growth EPDs are a bit below breed average. As I read it, the average BW EPD for the breed is 0.7. Your bull doesn't have a BW EPD. (Maybe he'll get one if you report the birth weights of his calves?) The breed average weaning weight EPD is 9, your bull's EPD for WW is 6. Breed aveage yearling weight is 14, your bull's is 12 (I think, kinda fuzzy on the screen). And these are Pedigree Estimates (PE), based on information reported on his sire and dam's performance.

Link to sire summary: http://www.beefmasters.org/PDFs/2009/Ho ... reword.pdf

Good luck with him. Hope he works out well for you.

so he was heavier at birth than the average calf in his contemporary group[/b].

That's incorrect. In the Beefmaster breed, regarding birthweight, heavier calves have poorer ratios. A birthweight ratio above 100 indicates an actual birthweight below the average...similar to the Angus calving ease EPD.

EC

can we keep this part of the discussion goin..thats what i wanna learn(know)..how to know what those numbers mean when i read em...some of the stuff i see on the beefmasters websites are over my head

i was told he had alow birthwieght and a high weaning wieght,,the birth i didnt get but the weaning was told to me to be 640,,seriously,,,,in 6 mos..i can even fathom that,,,wow!

i like the turn we took now..info i need to know,,im starting to get it now..i really need the bottom basic knowledge

i called my ag agent to see if they had a class and she said it was probly something she couldnt teach...wtf..i apy her salary...what fer?? you guys know more than her!

thanks
gary

well gary theres quiet a few of us here that grew up in the cattle business.an we learned at our daddies knees.an personally i learned you better know how to read an understand reg papers.

ill be teachin what i know to my son...which aint much..im doin ll the learning myself. lot from here and lot from nieghbors

i appreciate all the help here..gets me in the right direction even if it isnt EVERYHTING i need to know its enuff to get started...

thanks yall

Where it says individual performance this bulls birthweight was 78 pounds and it shows weaning 640. Now those are probably adjusted so they could be higher or lower. Judging from the reg papers though he has a low birthweight. It always bothers me when they do not record the yearling weight. That usually means it sucks or is sub par. I dont know much about beef masters of recent years back when I had a beefmaster bull there was no such thing as epd's really. Seems though that 6 and 12 are awfully low numbers for weaning and yearling. Sire's progeny have low birthweights for the most part and sire progeny weaning weight is low at 543. That means that the growth genetics behind this bull are probably not there. I would say mediocre calves at best. Of course I could be reading the papers wrong but that is my opinion.

bigbull338":skspdm5r said:
gary his BW was 78.an his WW was like 593.

Yeah which the weaning weight is not something I would want in my heard it is just to low. Especially if you are selling freezer beef like me. You want high 700 + pound weaning weights on bulls you buy and high yearling weights, personally in my opinion no yearling weight under 1300 for my herd. I just do not make as much money off cattle that are under these numbers.

1982vett":38nprrte said:
Dieselbeef's new Beefmaster bull.

gage_bull_fishin_011.jpg

Angle of his sheath is not very good compared to some beefmasters Ive seen. Of course about the only ones that I have seen that werent pecker draggers were lasater bloodlines though. Judging by his looks he is a good looking bull. However, I just dont like his sheath. That is about the only thing I can fault him on. I do not know how lasaters cleaned up the sheaths on em but they have.

dieselbeef":1huoj61u said:
can we keep this part of the discussion goin..thats what i wanna learn(know)..how to know what those numbers mean when i read em...some of the stuff i see on the beefmasters websites are over my head

i was told he had alow birthwieght and a high weaning wieght,,the birth i didnt get but the weaning was told to me to be 640,,seriously,,,,in 6 mos..i can even fathom that,,,wow!

i like the turn we took now..info i need to know,,im starting to get it now..i really need the bottom basic knowledge

i called my ag agent to see if they had a class and she said it was probly something she couldnt teach...wtf..i apy her salary...what fer?? you guys know more than her!

thanks
gary

Kinda late, but I'll throw this out:

EPDs are best used to compare two breeding animals of the same sex within the same breed. And they're pretty simple. If you breed your cows to a bull with a birth weight EPD of 5, weaning weight EPD of 30 and a yearling weight EPD of 50, you would EXPECT that the calves would weigh 5 more pounds at birth, 30 more pounds at weaning and 50 more pounds as yearlings than if you bred those same cows, under the same management/conditions, to a bull with BW EPD, WW EPD and YW EPD of 0. EPDs are created by using data reported on calves related to your animals. The more data reported, the more accurate the data will be. Each breed has their own set of EPDs and you can't compare one breed directly to another. Don't worry about the Beefmaster numbers being low. Beefmasters came to EPDs late. If breeders will start using them to identify superior animals and use them, they'll go up.

If what you are saying is true then MS Angus a +10 birthweight angus bull instead of being low birthweight is going to put 10 more pounds on his calves at birth. Sometimes your posts make no sense at all especially that remark. LOL :roll:

bulls got a good angle on his sheath for breeding and foward of his rear hooves,,, his sheath is one thing i do like about him,,

alacattleman":19wpvb7e said:
bulls got a good angle on his sheath for breeding and foward of his rear hooves,,, his sheath is one thing i do like about him,,

I guess,

I just see so many beef masters in the cattle magazine from lasater violetta, etc, and they all have cleaner sheaths than that. Personally, when I owned a beef master bull back years ago he had a comparable sheath. I didnt really like it then even though it was better than the brahman bull that I used prior to him.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3a6xh3ra said:
If what you are saying is true then MS Angus a +10 birthweight angus bull instead of being low birthweight is going to put 10 more pounds on his calves at birth. Sometimes your posts make no sense at all especially that remark. LOL :roll:

How about posting a link to the bull you are refering to. so we can all learn something from your commentary.