I bet those high priced Heifers....

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":3hwjpkvy said:
I read the responses, and I agree with much of what was said. I still think a house is one of the best investments a person makes. It's certainly one of the few things you buy, that will appreciate. Also spending money on it adds value. You can't say that about most things.

I've lost on about everything I've ever done in life. Never lost money on a house.
Boy I did. Bought my first house at 22. Paid $60K. Sold it for $23K. Oil bust in Houston kicked me in the head.

Bigfoot":1xdvp70e said:
A young man married my niece. He's a nice addition to the family actually. Hard worker, head on straight. They both have what I would call normal jobs. Certainly not high wage, but respectable. He was really interested in getting ahead in life. We struck a little deal, and flipped houses while they lived in them. He's out on his own now doing it. He's 31 or 32, and they have 2800-3000 square foot house that's paid for, from buying low, and adding equity with sweat. They've probably been married 8 years.

It's not for everybody, because your living in a fixer upper, but when your done, the appreciation is yours. Just snowball it, and keep moving up.

The difference is how you look at it for sure. If you look at it like a business and watch the numbers you can make some money I'm sure.
If you look at it as your home place, not to be sold. You can get yourself in a pinch with that big ole house. Even if you can pay for it. The taxes will never leave you.

What a great uncle_in_law :nod:

Thats a pretty cool house, but really big. When we built our house in 1990, we had 4 kids so the upstairs had 4 bedrooms, one full bath and a play area. Once the kids started trickling out of the house, we took out walls and made a big game room..The biggest original bedroom is now a guest room and one is a office. So the office downstairs is now my workout room. Before the kids moved out, i wondered what the heck i'd do with this big house...So, we made it into something else. No kids at home anymore and its actually a great place for 2 now.
We are now doing things to it that we couldnt afford back then. I'm working on some stained glass windows that will go in our living room....Husband is going to mill wood for walls and ceilings.
I hope some day one of the kids will move in with their family. Husband and i kind would like to build a cabin in a spot isolated on our place.

skyhightree1":4cntn6yi said:
Foreclosure%2011_zpsadrrhn06.png

OK, it is not a McMansion that was add recently. My bad, but that would have been the norm for this part of the world.

cowgirl8":1do29e0h said:
Thats a pretty cool house, but really big. When we built our house in 1990, we had 4 kids so the upstairs had 4 bedrooms, one full bath and a play area. Once the kids started trickling out of the house, we took out walls and made a big game room..The biggest original bedroom is now a guest room and one is a office. So the office downstairs is now my workout room. Before the kids moved out, i wondered what the heck i'd do with this big house...So, we made it into something else. No kids at home anymore and its actually a great place for 2 now.
We are now doing things to it that we couldnt afford back then. I'm working on some stained glass windows that will go in our living room....Husband is going to mill wood for walls and ceilings.
I hope some day one of the kids will move in with their family. Husband and i kind would like to build a cabin in a spot isolated on our place.
Put another bathroom upstairs will add more value to it. One isn't enough for 4 bedrooms as you probably found out.

TexasBred":ebgni8r8 said:
cowgirl8":ebgni8r8 said:
Put another bathroom upstairs will add more value to it. One isn't enough for 4 bedrooms as you probably found out.
I dont think the kids ever complained...The shower and toilet are a separate room, sink and storage another... The upstairs now is one bedroom and a office. I go up there maybe twice a year. Its my husbands mancave now. The bathroom does need redone. I painted it in spongebob. Its actually a great paint job if i do say myself. I have thought of sending a picture to one of those remodel tv shows because i think the sponge bob would go over well for tv. It would make for a good episode. We rarely get overnight guest..All my kids live in our area, parents too set in their ways to stay overnight and live just hours away. I'd like to just shut off that upstairs all together. Husbands office does have his reloading shop in it.. No one uses the pool table, i'd love to get rid of it, just not sure what i'd use that room for if it were gone. Its a huge open room.. One day maybe the grandkids will use it..

Latest posts