I bet nobody else has done this

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I was at an equipment sale at the sale barn yesterday. The guy who I buy my bulls from was there. He showed me pictures of a sea lion that must have came up the river out of the bay but then across the fields to his barn area. It has to be a half a mile or more from his barn to the river. And it came up a pretty good size hill. It hung around there for two days. He had plenty of pictures and video of it. Ended up with Fish and Wildlife guy there trying to catch it to return it to the ocean. After several methods of capture failed they ended up herding, chasing, pushing, and pulling into the my friends stock trailer. Not just everyone has hauled a sea lion in their stock trailer. They drove to the boat launch and unloaded him. He says if you ever need to haul a sea lion that a 24 foot Wilson trailer does a pretty good job of it.

Watch out Dave, you guys are going to get fined by the Feds for harassing a protected animal.

They were rare around here when I was a kid.

Should have kept him around, no telling what grass fed sea lion taste like. Probably like my son described aligator "fishy chicken ".

Alan":33hggacw said:
Watch out Dave, you guys are going to get fined by the Feds for harassing a protected animal.

He ignored it the first day. Thought It would go back on its own. Second day he called Fish and Wildlife. They were right there with him when he loaded it up. They were going to get it in the bucket of a loader tractor and use that to haul him to the boat launch. The wildlife guys boss called and stopped that plan. He figured that it would flop out of the bucket and they would end up with road kill sea lion on Hwy 101.

Named'em Tamed'em":33hggacw said:
They were rare around here when I was a kid. quote]

They key there is "they were rare". There is certainly no shortage of them now.

Stocker Steve":33hggacw said:
Did you run him though the chute and tag um before the release?

I am thinking that branding it would have been a better idea. Besides they don't have much of an ear to get a tag to stick on. Actually it was only a couple hundred feet from the chute. And the chute would have been between it and salt water. While he was there they should have run it in.

Alan":13j8es0z said:
Absolutely. They are covered under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. You can't go near them without being guilty of an offense. The penalties are severe, and they don't fool around. Some people found out the hard way recently by playing with seals in San Diego, and then posting about it online. Google and see the problems that they've had with sea lions on the docks in San Fransico. Even the city has trouble getting permission from the feds to do much about them. Don't think that state Fish and Game officers being close by and giving tacit approval is going to protect you one bit. They should have known better, but be that as it may, the feds have greater authority. You can bet that the F&G officers won't be falling over each other to speak out in your behalf when their jobs end up being threatened, even if you were just being nice and doing their job for them.

Back when I lived in San Diego and would go deep sea fishing, some of the captains would "dispatch" the problem sea lions that would eat the fisherman's catch.

SSS

I don't know if sea lions even have a smell but you might want to wait a while before you try to load a colt in that trailer.

Latest posts