I am Googled out!

Help Support CattleToday:

CPL":168d314p said:
Since some commerical producers sell directly at weaning, or around then, would there be anything to gain by evaulating at weaning for someone who is trying to market their bulls to commerical producers? Just curious.

by measuring the height you can probably learn something about their frame size and also get to know more about the growth pattern of the specific calf if the measurements is repeated at the set ages, but to measure SC won't really make any sense since puberty hasn't started in the vast majority of bullcalves at weaning.

A 100day weight is worth taking since it will tell you a lot about the milk production of the dam, if you take the weight again at 205 days you'll get a better idea how much of the WW was due to the milk of the dam and how much of it was the calf's own growthability

The problem with FS measurments is that the growth isn't a constant. Some animals gorw faster then slow down, some grow slow then speed up, some grow the same basic attributable speed (so that it agrees with the FS charts) through their life.
We've all seen calves that grow in fits and starts.

dun":1xopszyi said:
The problem with FS measurments is that the growth isn't a constant. Some animals gorw faster then slow down, some grow slow then speed up, some grow the same basic attributable speed (so that it agrees with the FS charts) through their life.
We've all seen calves that grow in fits and starts.

I agree, tried to say more or less the same thing, just more clumsy than your effort.

I suppose if you want to sell at weaning if you select your replacement heifers out of those who've had high early growth and slowed down later there could be a long term advantage if you also use a bull with a similar pattern.

The problem I have with Frame Scores is that often times it is only an indicator of leg length. I tells me nothing about thickness length or debth. That is with my brahmans and a lot of brahman influenced cattle I have seen.

novatech":babdfldd said:
The problem I have with Frame Scores is that often times it is only an indicator of leg length. I tells me nothing about thickness length or debth. That is with my brahmans and a lot of brahman influenced cattle I have seen.

That's a good share of the reason that the weights that are given for the various FS on the tables don;t mean diddly. The few heifers we've retained, if they had the weights shown for their FS wouldn;t have ended up being retained. To my minds eye they would be too scrawny.

dun":3sq04vfu said:
novatech":3sq04vfu said:

That's a good share of the reason that the weights that are given for the various FS on the tables don;t mean diddly. The few heifers we've retained, if they had the weights shown for their FS wouldn;t have ended up being retained. To my minds eye they would be too scrawny.

I thought they seemed a bit light too. But I can't find anything else. Out of curiosity, what would you say are good weights per frame size for a beef animal?

ArmyDoc":2qkyrrn0 said:
dun":2qkyrrn0 said:
novatech":2qkyrrn0 said:

I thought they seemed a bit light too. But I can't find anything else. Out of curiosity, what would you say are good weights per frame size for a beef animal?

People ask about frame size but what matters is having the depth and width.
I saw some yearlings at Farmfest today that I have no idea what their FS or weight was. But they were as tall as out 2 year olds and as skinny as a trailer weaned calf. No depth or width. Folks sure were proud of them though.

Latest posts