I AM CANADIAN

Help Support CattleToday:

ERIK

Reaction score
I live in canada andjust finished reading an article saying that Bush should not open the border. But the dairy guys down here are milking way to many cows and they are losing money when the send them for cull. They lose even more if they put them through the sale barn. And thebeef guys are justdying out in alberta and Manatobia. We are just waiting to start sernding live cattle across the border. Give me your opionion. Thanks[/b]

Even with what I have postred in the past I feel for you guys. But that is Agriculture at its finest. Sure a lot of politics involved too. America isn't suffering as much as you make it out but we still are missing a multi-billion dollar customer in Japan also. If its any concelation when I was growing up I watched a hail storm destroy my fathers cotton crop. In ten minutes he lots 250,000 dollars. It took a while but he came back. So hang in there. Pray for the best and I will say one for you also. No real opinion on this.

Scotty

I wouldn't mind to have the border reopen, in about 4 months or so, it'd be nice to finish out this set of calves at record prices and then be able to buy some cheap calves back in. I personally don't know if it's time to reopen the borders yet but that all opinion. something will have to be done to settle down the markets after

ERIK

You want an opinion?

I gave you one on another thread. Why not respond? Nice to see a new guy here, if indeed you are a guy - but instead of running willy nilly around the board - stop and respond once in a while.

Remember - we who have been here for a while - we see this noise repeated day after day with new folks - a lot of it is old hat info to us.

As for
But the dairy guys down here are milking way to many cows and they are losing money when the send them for cull. They lose even more if they put them through the sale barn.

Not only do we already know this, we live it on all the beef operations. Perhaps the dairy guys should think about downsizing to survive. Sell some of that nice $27,000 quota (or is it more now?) and pay down some debt. Dairy have survived for years on a guaranteed income - therefore they have never had to really worry about how to survive. That was then - this is now. Time to change.

Any beef guys out there who could use one kilo of this quota money?

Personally I have come to realize that the border opening is not the be all and the end all. We will develop new markets and be stronger for it. We are shipping boxes to the U.S. of A. and soon will be moving meat to Hong Kong. Small market, but it is the thin edge of the wedge. Never will I let myself get into this again - bet lots agree with me on this.

As I previously wrote in a response to you. Get with the program, and start to think like a businessman. If you can't make it on what you now have, start to look at NEW ways of doing business.

Stop complaining about how tough it is to milk "way to many cows". Get rid of some. Sell the excess quota. If they "lose even more if they put them through the sale barn" then shoot them and compost them. Not really viable but an option.

I sent a 4 year - or maybe 5 year old registered Black Angus bull to the sale barn - broken penis and got 4 and one half cents to the pound for it. It did not cover the cost of shipping - I now butcher the culls at Gencor. Such is life.

I am beginning to believe there should NEVER be a cull dairy cow enter the food chain - period. Having seen what they look like at the sale barn, milked out, bags of bones - usually in tougher shape than any of the worst animals I have seen on any beef place in a long time. Heaven only knows what they have eaten or what they have been doctored with over the years of their life they have spent standing tied with a chain. I have come to believe they should be rendered for pet food - and never for burger.

Stay well.

Regards

Bez

Bez ,
I agree with you . Adversity only makes the willing stronger if you can make it.
There is not much success in pity . Thinking outside the box and the grit to make the thinking become reality is what success is about.
Congratulations and good luck.

ERIK":29ux1j5m said:
I live in canada andjust finished reading an article saying that Bush should not open the border. But the dairy guys down here are milking way to many cows and they are losing money when the send them for cull. They lose even more if they put them through the sale barn. And thebeef guys are justdying out in alberta and Manatobia. We are just waiting to start sernding live cattle across the border. Give me your opionion. Thanks[/b]

In my humble opinon, you need to forget about that border opening and get on with business. Everybody thinks the U.S border opening is going to magically solve our problems.........ain,t going to happen.Thats immediately obvious if you have been watching the U.S/Canada exchange rate.Unless the Cdn dollar falls you won,t see pre B.S.E prices.