"I AM ANGUS"

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":14zz8jmm said:
well wont argue that,, but most house wives are picky. their not gonna buy the same product over and over with bad results

I didn't say that my product had bad results. I am very pleased with the results of my Angus. And once again, don't place too much faith in the American people. They are most loyal to price, not quality. Why do you think that Wally-World has been so successful?

grannysoo":87b7gwyk said:
alacattleman":87b7gwyk said:
well wont argue that,, but most house wives are picky. their not gonna buy the same product over and over with bad results

I didn't say that my product had bad results. I am very pleased with the results of my Angus. And once again, don't place too much faith in the American people. They are most loyal to price, not quality. Why do you think that Wally-World has been so successful?
i dont have much faith in folks anymore ..... im pleased with the results of my angus bulls,, you must be thinking im speaking right the opposite

It seams that Black Angus is synomymous for Quality to many people, unlike some on this board that think Cab or the Asso. is the reason, I know it is The quality of the breed that has achieved this... I has seen the Euro come in,( simm . limm, char ) and go.. The shorthorn return and fade, Chi and mains. but through it all one thing prevailed..THE BLACK ANGUS...Like it or hate it, (them funnel but angus) sets the standards for the cattle business. I will also say Herefords have been here also, need them to make them black baldies..

McDonalds here have recently brought out the 'Grand Angus burger'. Talk about fantastic marketing... It's marketed as pretty much the best beef you can buy. The marketing is for the most part the reason why Angus cattle are so popular. Not saying they aren't good but they don't bring anything unique to the table...

Go to any supermarket and ask the meat manager, if CAB is 100% Angus. Go to a restaurant and ask if the meat they advertise as Angus is 100% Angus. 99% will tell you it is. They know this because the meat has been certified. They do not realize that CAB is a name brand and does not actually depict what is in the package. The people that condone it do not think that they are conning the public, they have a term called good marketing. The promoters of this play on the gullibility of people. Unfortunately I believe that an awful lot of advertising follow techniques that are similar.
What I would like to know is if you think this is a morally correct way to market do I need to get an attorney or websters dictionionary to determine what you say is the whole truth or are you covering up something.

novatech":lzbt918h said:
Go to any supermarket and ask the meat manager, if CAB is 100% Angus. Go to a restaurant and ask if the meat they advertise as Angus is 100% Angus. 99% will tell you it is. They know this because the meat has been certified. They do not realize that CAB is a name brand and does not actually depict what is in the package. The people that condone it do not think that they are conning the public, they have a term called good marketing. The promoters of this play on the gullibility of people. Unfortunately I believe that an awful lot of advertising follow techniques that are similar.
What I would like to know is if you think this is a morally correct way to market do I need to get an attorney or websters dictionionary to determine what you say is the whole truth or are you covering up something.

Well said!

You are correct that CAB is a brand, not really a product. I'm sure they have hired some of those cunning word-promoters that do play on the gullibility of the people. As to the marketing being morally correct, I don't believe that any marketing going on is morally correct. Everything is slanted to get the point of view that is desired by the seller.

I don't push CAB marketing, but the consumer has had it pounded into their heads so much that a lot of them are looking for angus.

Let them look in my fields.......... :mrgreen:

Angus has become the new normal for the consumer so now the beef from other breeds is either better than Angus or not as good as Angus.

R.N.Reed":rhzb4hdf said:
Angus has become the new normal for the consumer so now the beef from other breeds is either better than Angus or not as good as Angus.
well ever sence i can remember angus was pretty much the standard around here even before CAB ... you would see a phase with bulls every 10 years,are so .. like gert's brahmans beefmaster, charolais limi. etc.

I was referring to the beef at the meat counter or selling freezer beef.If you're selling breeding stock you will have to hope some guys start realizing the value of hybrid vigor and that you have bred cattle that will complement their cow herds.

Well Aussie girl you are wrong, Black Angus brings alot to the table.. They are Black, what other cattle are? I already know the breeds you might name, most of them get it from Black Angus. Also no horns, a natural dehorner... I could go on but , well enought said...

alftn":2z5g7j3h said:
Well Aussie girl you are wrong, Black Angus brings alot to the table.. They are Black, what other cattle are? I already know the breeds you might name, most of them get it from Black Angus. Also no horns, a natural dehorner... I could go on but , well enought said...

Welsh Black is a fantastic little black breed actually, and I think you'll find they have many of the attributes a black angus has. And they come in polled. What is the value in a black hide? Sure, might get more at the market but that completely has to do with the marketing the angus breed has done. And excuse me, I don't believe I said the Angus doesn't bring anything to the table, I said it doesn't bring anything DIFFERENT to the table. So read what I wrote properly before you get your undies in a twist.

No Assie girl, You said "bring anything unique" and I showed two unique things....I would also bet that them Welsh Blacks are genetic close to Black Angus..After both breed come from the same place and same people...or at least real close..

alftn":1ss1duxd said:
No Assie girl, You said "bring anything unique" and I showed two unique things....I would also bet that them Welsh Blacks are genetic close to Black Angus..After both breed come from the same place and same people...or at least real close..

You have just shown yourself that the black hide isn't unique, if a number of breeds have it how does that become a unique attribute? FYI Welsh Blacks are attributed as being one of the oldest cattle breeds in the UK. So if anything it is highly likely that the Angus were developed from them if we want to start talking theories of origin. Also on the topic of genetics, the Angus and the Welsh Black are probably more distant now that previously because of the selection of genetics.

Not that it has anything to do with the reason why the selection of black hide is relevant, which goes back to my previous statement that probably the only reason the black hide is so highly sought after is due to the marketing and advertising from the Angus Society. I don't see any real superiority of having a black hide, you could even argue that it is a detriment in hotter climates.

Australian":c4wzfwne said:
Angus beef is no better than lots of other breeds. Brahman beef is great as is South Devon or Hereford. Its just the way it's marketed.

Just 'the marketing' huh? So that would be why, when after the Shorthorn and hereford breeds were well established in the USA that within a few years of the Aberdeen Angus breed being introduced that the 'black freaks' were already commanding top dollar for feeder steers and fats? Clearly something was different / better. The success of the Angus breed is largely tied to the quality of the beef, a trait they were specifically bred for.

In modern times CAB has merely taken the already recognized quality of Angus beef and projected it seriously to the consumer, yes marketing but more particularly standing behind the product in the marketplace and letting the market decide. If the product did not consistently meet and exceed the customers expectations, no amount of 'marketing' would make it fly, and fly it does. This simple concept has driven demand for Angus bulls for over 20 years, and will continue to do so, it has also driven many breeds to paint themselves black, they like the association with quality (immitation being the sincerest form of flattery) but clearly from reading this forum engenders deep jealousy of the Angus breed. Too bad. Still missing the point.

robert":341ib7xr said:
Australian":341ib7xr said:
Angus beef is no better than lots of other breeds. Brahman beef is great as is South Devon or Hereford. Its just the way it's marketed.

Just 'the marketing' huh? So that would be why, when after the Shorthorn and hereford breeds were well established in the USA that within a few years of the Aberdeen Angus breed being introduced that the 'black freaks' were already commanding top dollar for feeder steers and fats? Clearly something was different / better. The success of the Angus breed is largely tied to the quality of the beef, a trait they were specifically bred for.

In modern times CAB has merely taken the already recognized quality of Angus beef and projected it seriously to the consumer, yes marketing but more particularly standing behind the product in the marketplace and letting the market decide. If the product did not consistently meet and exceed the customers expectations, no amount of 'marketing' would make it fly, and fly it does. This simple concept has driven demand for Angus bulls for over 20 years, and will continue to do so, it has also driven many breeds to paint themselves black, they like the association with quality (immitation being the sincerest form of flattery) but clearly from reading this forum engenders deep jealousy of the Angus breed. Too bad. Still missing the point.

Angus beef is no better or worse then a most other breeds. Perception is reality in todays world. The perception (because of great marketing) is that angus beef is superior. I wonder how many people other then cattle folks even know what an angus looks like. All milk comes from black and white cows but I've nevber seen an add in the general media with a picture of an angus. I've never seen the results from an independent totally blind test of consumers that compared beef from different breeds.
We happen to raise angus but the red variety.

robert":28ppr6pa said:
Australian":28ppr6pa said:

In a way that is marketing. If I told you I had invented a car and I wasn't going to sell it for anything less than 3 million dollars. What would be your immediate perception? Surely I wouldn't be selling a corolla for 3 million dollars?!!!

Also if angus are that much better or different, why aren't people having the same reaction to red. Red angus came from the black angus therefore shouldn't it's merits be the same as the black? Red and black hides don't sell the same so apparently not.

The consumer, if given a couple of steaks, would no way tell the difference between steaks. Hell even I can't. I can tell between indicus and taurus but between breeds its hard because of how much variation there is.

in general i agree with your comments regarding red vs black angus, don't know about down under but in the usa the discrimination against red is rooted in the association of red color with shorthorn and the tendency for yellow fat, the premium for black is a direct correlation of black and angus therefore marbled and quality.

Is merely raising awareness of the quality of your product 'just marketing'? CAB has a particular set of carcass criteria which insure consistency of product quality.

This thread has drifted off course mainly because the principle of I am Angus has been ignored in favor of a debate over the relative quality of different breeds, perhaps if we all took a step back and consider the message we send to the consumer, and how and who delivers it, we can counter balance the folks who have the time and money to rip us up in the media every chance they get.

Shorthorns and yellow fat? You mean Jersey and Guernsey and yellow fat? They are the only two breeds I know of with that trait.