I admire you tractor drivers

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":1xwunild said:
Jogeephus, just be glad you are not the one riding the planting machine. I can't imagine riding one for that long. :help:

I cut my teeth on a treeco planter kissing my knees. Can't tell you how many back flips I've done off the back of one or how many times I've been slung off. I wouldn't do this again nor will I ask anyone else to do it. I now use enclosed planters with padding and I stilll will get in on occassion. Its not as rough as you might think and it surely isn't boring in the least. Day goes by fast.

I've recovered now, went to work and rested, but I did forget how many world problems you can solve on a tractor seat. I am not really a radio listener, so I just had all these great ideas of things to do. If I could just win the lottery, I could put them all in place. gs

ga. prime":34bf4nod said:
kenny thomas":34bf4nod said:
OK, i'll bite. What is a lightered knot?
You know what a knot of wood is. A lightered knot is a knot from a pine tree that became impregnated with resin (after the knot died but while the tree was still living) which preserves the knot fom rotting and makes the knot very hard, relatively very heavy, and highly flammable- lightered will burn long and hot. The best and biggest ones come from very old longleaf or slash pines, especially longleaf since they live far longer than slash. Lightered is a contraction of light wood. It's called that not because it's light in weight but because of its use for lighting fires.There are also lightered stumps and just plain lightered that comes from the main stem of the tree. "Fat" is often used in conjunction with lightered to indicate the amount of resin in the wood.
Very good,
I night add it is the part left after the rest of the tree, stump has rotted away. Split off splinters with an axe and you have material that is excellent for starting fire in fireplace or wood heater.
Here you used to could find lightered knots on cut over timber land. Could pick them up off the ground.

In addition to fire, they are also excellent projectiles for throwing at rabbits you are chasing.
Also when someone really irritates you, you can use a lightered knot to knock them in the head.

Well, learn something new every day. We have only a very, very, very few pine trees and they are Virginia pine. Jogee, I have rode a wildland planter a little but not a job for me. All trees here planted by hand. About 1 million per year, almost all on open strip mine land.

My husband likes to drive the tractor, he would rather do that than be around the cattle nowadays, unless it is to "pet" them and walk amongst them..

I think he is the typical male anything that goes "Vroom Vroom" and make lots of noise and goes somewhat fast over all terrain his attention goes that a way.. In fact I catch myself doing it too, just to get his attention.. :p :lol:

hillsdown":3lg1ox1d said:
My husband likes to drive the tractor, he would rather do that than be around the cattle nowadays, unless it is to "pet" them and walk amongst them..

I think he is the typical male anything that goes "Vroom Vroom" and make lots of noise and goes somewhat fast over all terrain his attention goes that a way.. In fact I catch myself doing it too, just to get his attention.. :p :lol:
The mental image of you running across the field yelling vroom vroom, well..........................

dun":2xw3ftou said:
hillsdown":2xw3ftou said:

The mental image of you running across the field yelling vroom vroom, well..........................

Actually Dun, I usually do this when I want him to help with the dishes, and his butt is planted in his chair in front of the TV .. :p :lol:

Latest posts