I’m glad when Christmas is over

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":25vsvs9z said:
I have some of the same feelings. We have no children so nobody been here since Saturday. When ask this morning what I was doing for Christmas I answered feeding the cows. To all with children, grandchildren and family enjoy them. Merry Christmas to all my friends

Kids can never have too many Grandparents Kenny, I'll share my two grandsons with you.

I'm glad when its over as well most years. Sure there is parts and pieces I love most times such as seeing the young ones open their presents, shopping for gifts, decorating the tree, even getting a few gifts I really love of my own, and of course praising the true meaning of Christmas. But sure there are those family strains, ones I just don't have much in common with anymore, many who live far away in cities and such. Ones I have disagreements with and such. Memories of better Christmas's and the loved ones whom are gone. Ailments and pains that we have that can dampen our spirits. My birthday being the day after only adds to it. Most forget about it lost in the Christmas celebration and hey I'm a year older and usually feel it. I myself don't keep count no more and sometimes I got to quickly count the years when asked how old I am. I'm 37 today. There are those things I've wished I have done by now that I haven't even got too yet! Christmas and my BD brings that right back and smack in my mind. But I realize its part of life and to take it a day by day and be Thankful for what I got and the ones whom are still with me. And to try and cherish and appreciate these new Christmas's but not forget the ones of old. It's just the losses are easier to remember sometimes and it can hurt. Our enjoyment of the Christmas season really changed in '94 with the loss of my older brother whom was like my hero lost in a tragic accident at 15. It's been hard over the years celebrating cmas but it has gotten better. There are always gonna be good ones, tough ones, and then there are the best ones. My first 12 Christmas's were the best ones, this 2018's was a GOOD one here. Just remember to make the best of it that we're not promised another CHRISTMAS.

gcreekrch":350fzett said:
kenny thomas":350fzett said:
I have some of the same feelings. We have no children so nobody been here since Saturday. When ask this morning what I was doing for Christmas I answered feeding the cows. To all with children, grandchildren and family enjoy them. Merry Christmas to all my friends

Kids can never have too many Grandparents Kenny, I'll share my two grandsons with you.
Send them on down. They probably have never seen cows eating grees grass at Christmas.

FlyingLSimmentals":h2fgl9i9 said:
I'm glad when its over as well most years. Sure there is parts and pieces I love most times such as seeing the young ones open their presents, shopping for gifts, decorating the tree, even getting a few gifts I really love of my own, and of course praising the true meaning of Christmas. But sure there are those family strains, ones I just don't have much in common with anymore, many who live far away in cities and such. Ones I have disagreements with and such. Memories of better Christmas's and the loved ones whom are gone. Ailments and pains that we have that can dampen our spirits. My birthday being the day after only adds to it. Most forget about it lost in the Christmas celebration and hey I'm a year older and usually feel it. I myself don't keep count no more and sometimes I got to quickly count the years when asked how old I am. I'm 37 today. There are those things I've wished I have done by now that I haven't even got too yet! Christmas and my BD brings that right back and smack in my mind. But I realize its part of life and to take it a day by day and be Thankful for what I got and the ones whom are still with me. And to try and cherish and appreciate these new Christmas's but not forget the ones of old. It's just the losses are easier to remember sometimes and it can hurt. Our enjoyment of the Christmas season really changed in '94 with the loss of my older brother whom was like my hero lost in a tragic accident at 15. It's been hard over the years celebrating cmas but it has gotten better. There are always gonna be good ones, tough ones, and then there are the best ones. My first 12 Christmas's were the best ones, this 2018's was a GOOD one here. Just remember to make the best of it that we're not promised another CHRISTMAS.
Happy birthday. :bday:

kenny thomas":1209begh said:
gcreekrch":1209begh said:
kenny thomas":1209begh said:

Send them on down. They probably have never seen cows eating grees grass at Christmas.
Yes all those cows that have nothing to eat, but are slick and thick. We were amazed how green it is up there and you don't even have to mow the yard.

glad to hear that is not just me...
First Christmas for me without my wife of 32 years...
Went over to my sisters and had Christmas Breakfast with her family...

I guess we are at that age where Christmas is what we make it... A lot of the parents and Grandparents are long gone but in my opinion we owe it to the next generations to make Christmas what it is supposed to be. In my case, my mother is not doing well and my stepfather is in the hospital with about 4 months left to live (cancer)... this is the first time that I didn't have my mom around for Christmas (we live 2000 miles apart). All of my children and grandchildren live on the farm so we had the traditional "Big" Christmas that I love, but a big part of me was missing. Christmas in our house is about the birth of our Savior, and for that I will always be Thankful!!

TN Cattle Man":ua6h5epy said:
I guess we are at that age where Christmas is what we make it... A lot of the parents and Grandparents are long gone but in my opinion we owe it to the next generations to make Christmas what it is supposed to be. In my case, my mother is not doing well and my stepfather is in the hospital with about 4 months left to live (cancer)... this is the first time that I didn't have my mom around for Christmas (we live 2000 miles apart). All of my children and grandchildren live on the farm so we had the traditional "Big" Christmas that I love, but a big part of me was missing. Christmas in our house is about the birth of our Savior, and for that I will always be Thankful!!
I bet your house was full of love and excitement running grandma and grandpa ragged. And I'm sure y'all loved every minute of it.

True Grit Farms":gk02l68t said:
TN Cattle Man":gk02l68t said:
I bet your house was full of love and excitement running grandma and grandpa ragged. And I'm sure y'all loved every minute of it.

We had a good day here too. Didn't see or talk to anyone except my wife, son, daughter-in-law, grandson, daughter, her fiance, and my sister. Everything went good, and nobody was stressed. Way too much good food.

pdfangus":1br5az8e said:
glad to hear that is not just me...
First Christmas for me without my wife of 32 years...
Went over to my sisters and had Christmas Breakfast with her family...

That first year is absolutely brutal...so many "firsts" without your love. Second year is a little more tolerable.
One day at a time good sir. Its all a man can do. Will be thinking of you this Christmas season.

This year really snuck up on us. We do an advent calendar with our son, and it was like we started and then it was the 23rd already. The feelings this year were OK, but it felt lacking, too. We don't speak with my wife's family. Long story short, it involved them moving near us. Every year she gets really grumpy for about a week or so before Christmas, and then gets it out of her system. It doesn't help that all the TV shows and movies associated with Christmas are all about family togetherness and redemption of the a$$hole "who loves you in their own special way, but by golly they just can't express it." Another part of it is that we have a decent relationship with my folks, but it's tough on her being alone.

I'm dreading New Year's Eve this year. We have a friend who likes to hold an annual party. This year her Significant Other (if they were to describe their relationship on FB it would be "it's complicated") has to work, so he doesn't want anyone there (I understand it). My wife agreed to have it at our place and is now having massive regrets. The worst part is that I have food allergies/restrictions so it's either I have issues b/c people brought stuff that isn't safe for me or we prepare food for 20 folks. Buying isn't really an option b/c the magical ingredient is hard to buy around. I think I'll be getting drunk that night....

I've never been crazy about Holidays. It's hard to get in the spirit when county property taxes are due Dec 21. and we have some of the highest property taxes in the State. Christmas day, Verizon sends an automated message that my December phone bill is due and will be taken out of my checking account. Really? On Christmas Day. Capitalism rolls on.
Mom & Dad are gone. It's us 3 kids and our families. Brother and his wife are too upper crust to be bothered with the rest of us. Sis lives in California and most likely had a therapy session or some feminist rally to support Obama.
Best part of it all is the grandkids. Littlest granddaughter wanted blueberries and marshmallows for Christmas. Their Mother had bought some sort of rice bran in a little sack that was labeled "Reindeer Food". Right before they went to bed Christmas Eve, the kids took the sack (contents was about 1/2 a cup) outside and sprinkled it in the yard. Littlest one said she threw some on the roof for the reindeer. :heart: It's the 'little things' that make Christmas.

Bright Raven":304fvwlr said:
Christmas is a family holiday. First, there is the Christmas of your childhood. Those are wonderful. Mom, dad, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. Then there is the Christmas of your own family. Which is inclusive of some of the members of your childhood Christmas. Like grandma and grandpa, etc.

As you get older, your mom and dad are deceased, aunts and uncles are deceased - the experience is different. There are family gatherings and I enjoy those and we try to keep it going but it just does not match the childhood Christmas and when your own family was young.

I don't think your experience is unusual.

My big disappointment this year: Jogeephus didn't send me any of his homemade wine. Lol

I can relate to this. Thinking back on my childhood, Christmas was the most magical time. It was a combo of things, but it generated a magical feeling that just can't be duplicated as an adult. I still enjoy it, but not like I once did.

Happiness is a choice with a significant exception. Clinical maladies of the mind certainly exist that totally or partially preclude happiness.

I see people who make a choice to be unhappy. Instead of looking at the positive, they focus on the negative. They obsess on the flaws in society and let it rule their life.

Life is a miracle. That we exist - is a miracle. Someone did a straw calculation of the probability that they came to be. There are millions of spermatozoa that could have fertilized the egg we came from. Had it been any other one than the one that made us, we would never have existed.

I learned a long time ago not to obsess on all the flaws in society, the flaws in humans, and the natural events that we do not control.

Like docility is inherited in cattle, I think inheritance plays a role in our personality. My mom was a very positive, happy person. She laughed at the good, the bad and the ugly. We had a saying in the family - mom would laugh if she was all dressed up and slipped and fell in a mud puddle. She would get up laughing. And she would laugh even harder if dad slipped and fell.

Christmas came and went this year for us without feeling like it was Christmas at all in the sense that we usually would celebrate. My wife and I found the time to at least get to go to a Sunday evening Christmas service at our church. Upon leaving that service I found that I had a missed call from the rehab facility that my mother was at. She was having trouble breathing. We went over there and she had calmed down somewhat and did not want to be taken to the hospital. The next morning ( Christmas Eve morning) it happened again and she was sent back to the hospital. Good thing she went she has a blood clot in her lung and multiple ones in her leg. So since then we have been mainly at the hospital with her.
In my family it has always been small as far as immediate family, and then My dad passed on a Christmas Eve morning back in 93. As long as my grandmothers were living both sides would have their respective get togethers around Christmas, then after their passing one side stopped, and one got smaller. We usually would meet with my aunt and uncle on my dads side, but this year they are both in a nursing home in failing health 200 miles from here in western KY. My wife comes from a big family in Oklahoma and she had been looking forward to going back there around Thanksgiving but stayed here with me to help after my mother took such a turn. I kept thinking she may improve and she could go around Christmas but then another turn for the worse. I know it's been tough on her to be so far away from her family, and the sheer exhaustion of trying to care for my mother, has just left us kind of in a daze as far as feeling like Christmas. Some friends gave us a ham and so Christmas night my wife fixed a hashbrown casserole and the ham so we have been enjoying that for a bit of Holiday festiveness I guess.

I agree, with much that has been posted. I have personally always been a "When the goin gets tough, the tough get goin" type of person. That advice works quit well when I'm building a fence on a hundred degree day. It also works quit well for many personal mental adversities. Doesn't seem to move me past family problems at Christmas. I'm not going to spill the beans on a public forum, but if I did, people would be like ouch, that was bad.

Bigfoot-you are so correct. We're all struggling with family issues of one sort or another. I've accepted it as a bump in my life and it will eventually pass. But, it's up to me to let it 'make or break' me.
Christmas is in the eyes of children. It's our job to make sure those little eyes have a wonderful Christmas. Presents under the tree, the excitement, the anticipation, reindeer food sprinkled on the lawn. We, as adults, are passing on the Christmas we once lived. It also means security, love and support for those little people who will someday be doing the same thing for the little ones in their life while lamenting things just aren't the same as they once were.

Chocolate Cow2":1mk8nfgn said:
Bigfoot-you are so correct. We're all struggling with family issues of one sort or another. I've accepted it as a bump in my life and it will eventually pass. But, it's up to me to let it 'make or break' me.
Christmas is in the eyes of children. It's our job to make sure those little eyes have a wonderful Christmas. Presents under the tree, the excitement, the anticipation, reindeer food sprinkled on the lawn. We, as adults, are passing on the Christmas we once lived. It also means security, love and support for those little people who will someday be doing the same thing for the little ones in their life while lamenting things just aren't the same as they once were.

Well said CC2.

Well, I'm glad it's done. The good silverware put away, the extra tables cleared and folded, the extra plates put away, most of the leftovers gone or frozen, all that is left is to haul away 4 bags of garbage and figure out what to do with all the unwanted 'stuff' I got that I firmly told people not to bring. :mad: :frowns:
At my stage in life, socks, underwear and more bullets is about the only Christmas gifts I want.

Latest posts