Hypotrichosis: or other type carriers

Help Support CattleToday:

LFF

Reaction score
There is alot of current debate about the curley calf syndrome and it makes me question some of the genetic defects in cattle. One that interest me is Hypotrichosis. There is a bull named Nick the Butler that is a carrier and as registered breeders would you buy any cattle with him in the pedgree, and if so how far back would you want him to be? It is common knowledge about this bull carrying the defect so I'm not saying anything to speak poorly of him or his breeder. The same questions apply to bulls that are epeletic, deluter, or any type carrier. I would like your comments , both from a commerical view and from a registered producers view.

Thanks,
LFF

It would depend for me if the animal being bought was a carrier (and yes I'd want to buy her tested). Just because she's out of a bull thats a carrier or her sire's sire is a carrier, if she is tested negative what's wrong with her?

I would avoid Nick the Butler as far as possible, but that isn't all that easy to do in poll herefords. I have quite a few with Nick the butler and other Beartooth Ranch bulls 5 generations or so back. So far so good, haven't had problems.

Latest posts