Hypotrichosis and Dwarfism ??? and pics

Help Support CattleToday:

buymorebulls":z2sqkepj said:
The first thing I would have done after having a suspicious calf is contact AHA director of breed improvement to see if they were interested in the calf.
As an owner of a suspicous calf, I want to know is it genetic, disease or environmental issue and work toward finding the answer, with the breed association, my local vet and/or Dr. Beever/Dr. Steffen.

Particular to Hypotrichosis (HY), there is now a test available and breeders have the resources to eliminate the defect from their herd. Yes, there are still a lot of older sires/dams that don't have clean/carrier status listed yet because the test is relatively new and this can create some "oops" moments. As a breed, Herefords have not been as diligent as Angus in testing older sires to eliminate the need (break the path to carrier animals) for testing current animals.

As more older sires get tested, I'm sure there will be more "oops" happen. Now that AHA is putting together software to tell breeders when an animal has an "unbroken path" to a carrier animal in its pedigree, there might be a lot of surprised breeders that don't realize their animal(s) have a carrier as an ancestor.
What do you mean by "unbroken path"?

alexfarms":2qeg8zjp said:

Any animal that has the following sires in its pedigree is suspect for HY:
Justa 425E Mainline 680K
FHR Genetic Giant
RWJ Victor J3 212
LS Beau Victor 1 30
JR Nick The Butler P183
FOF WF 3N Tanner A36
These bulls would be ancestors to A LOT of Hereford genetics, both polled and horned.

Take for instance, progeny of GK Genetic Explosion. He "breaks the path" back to LS Beau Victor 1 30 (a known HY carrier) because he is tested "free" or HYF. The path is LS Beau Victor 1 30 (HYC) sire of GK Beau Miss 269G dam of Explosion sire of GK Genetic Explosion sire of "progeny". The 269G cow and Explosion bull are untested to date so they have some odds of being carriers (50% and 25% respectively).

Some "path breaker" bulls:
MM RSM Stockmaster 512
WTK 55Y Bond 75A
Kilmorlie Deliverance ET 80U
Feltons 517
Feltons Endurance 745
Feltons Domino 774
GK Varsity S61
RRH Mr Felt 3008
Gerber Voyageur 80X
Haroldson Raider P183 2Z

buymorebulls":1x4dfpm0 said:
alexfarms":1x4dfpm0 said:

Any animal that has the following sires in its pedigree is suspect for HY:
Justa 425E Mainline 680K
FHR Genetic Giant
RWJ Victor J3 212
LS Beau Victor 1 30
JR Nick The Butler P183
FOF WF 3N Tanner A36
These bulls would be ancestors to A LOT of Hereford genetics, both polled and horned.

Take for instance, progeny of GK Genetic Explosion. He "breaks the path" back to LS Beau Victor 1 30 (a known HY carrier) because he is tested "free" or HYF. The path is LS Beau Victor 1 30 (HYC) sire of GK Beau Miss 269G dam of Explosion sire of GK Genetic Explosion sire of "progeny". The 269G cow and Explosion bull are untested to date so they have some odds of being carriers (50% and 25% respectively).

Some "path breaker" bulls:
MM RSM Stockmaster 512
WTK 55Y Bond 75A
Kilmorlie Deliverance ET 80U
Feltons 517
Feltons Endurance 745
Feltons Domino 774
GK Varsity S61
RRH Mr Felt 3008
Gerber Voyageur 80X
Haroldson Raider P183 2Z
So, I have a cow whose great grandmother was sired by LS Beau victor 1 30 and none of the descendents of that 1 30 daughter have ever been tested so how will the AHA be contacting me on that using this new software?

I'm not aware of how AHA will utilize the software or how it will communicate to members. I'm only aware that they are working on something, hopefully it will be similar to what Angus or Simmental use.

A new listing on the Hereford website, for you folks that used them.........

EXPLOSION {DLF,HYC,IEF} (17565668)
ANHINGA VIC S84 K16 {DLF,HYC,IEF} (P42069623)

buymorebulls":35i4kpp6 said:

OUCH! I hate to see that! That puts these few straws I have of Mr. T (GK EXPLOSION 412T) into question.

I noticed that GK GENETIC EXPLOSION has checked as HYF.

ANHINGA VIC S84 K16 is a GENEX bull that has been discussed here at CT before and admired for his phenotype:

hp815b.jpg

George

Dwarfism in dogs is genetic and I was very surprised to read an article in the local farmer journal about incidents of dwarfism in severals herds in Connemara and that is was attributed to "feeding bad silage at a certain stage during pregnancy". It sounded right dodgy to me.

Can anyone point me to sites with genetic re this issue, please?

Herefords.US":222pi4da said:
buymorebulls":222pi4da said:

OUCH! I hate to see that! That puts these few straws I have of Mr. T (GK EXPLOSION 412T) into question.

I noticed that GK GENETIC EXPLOSION has checked as HYF.

ANHINGA VIC S84 K16 is a GENEX bull that has been discussed here at CT before and admired for his phenotype:

hp815b.jpg

George

At nearly 11 years of age, after having 388 progeny run through the TPR program and after Genex states in their AI catalog that he has "taken Argentina by storm", K16 has been discovered to carry Hypotrichosis. Wow, that's a hard luck draw. I guess maybe the AHA is right to test these bulls that are going into heavy AI use.

I had not looked at the HYC list in a good while, guess I'll be testing the greater majority of mine, I've got quite a few that go back to 9401, only 3 generations back in a few of them, she's the dam of a carrier and the sire of the carrier 517 tested HYF, so she would have to be a carrier, even though she not been tested yet to say she is.

alexfarms":ms2ubvpw said:
At nearly 11 years of age, after having 388 progeny run through the TPR program and after Genex states in their AI catalog that he has "taken Argentina by storm", K16 has been discovered to carry Hypotrichosis. Wow, that's a hard luck draw. I guess maybe the AHA is right to test these bulls that are going into heavy AI use.

The influence of EXPLOSION also can't be taken lightly. The AHA web-site lists 33 sons who are sires and 163 daughters who are dams - and only one of each has been tested as HYF. The rest have no designations. Most are obviously too old, and long gone, to be able to obtain DNA samples except for the bulls that have been collected.

Granted the one son tested HYF is GK GENETIC EXPLOSION or this cloud would be a good bit larger!

Time to review the pedigrees of my cattle to see which ones I need to test first.

George

For some reason I had known the Explosion line was likely to carry hypotrichosis. He's been around along time. I think some of the 269G cow's descendents had shown up as carriers and 269G is the daughter of a confirmed carrier, 1 30. The K16 bull could have gotten it from 212 or the Feltons cattle and they are quite a ways back in the pedigree. I had thought that the the 9401 cow that rocket is talking about probably had gotten it from Optimum and Nick the butler, but as buymorebulls pointed out to me some time ago she probably got it from 1 30 way back in her pedigree since Optimum has tested HYF. I ran into Hypotrichosis back in the early '90s through Feltons 468 and I had a coversation with a man who sold alot of Hereford semen on alot of bulls and he named off several bulls that carried hypotrichosis and he claimed the only ones he knew to be free of genetic problems in the polled Herefords was OR DOM 549 F243 and BT CL DOMINO 15G. I don't think things were really THAT bad, but it is good to see the dna testing clearing up some questions and ending or confirming some rumors.

Latest posts