Hydraulics issue

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Machinery in question:
John Deere 5510
Older 12' International harrow

Tractor will raise and lower harrow but only if you work the hydraulic lever on the tractor very, very slowly. If you push or pull the lever too fast it will lock down the harrow. If you are raising the harrow and pull the lever too hard, it will lock the harrow, then you have to slowly lower the harrow slightly, then you can resume raising it. Same scenario if you're lowering. What is causing this issue?

Yes. It's something to do with the way the system works on the tractor I think. New filters, fluids, etc on regular basis and levels are good.

Most of those 55xx tractors have 2 pair of rear connectors in a 2x2 layout. Sometimes, I get confused and hook the hoses to one connector on each circuit instead of two connectors on the same circuit. I assume you have it connected correctly. Does it do this with other hydraulic cylinders/implements? Wondering if there is binding in the cylinder if the piston moves at normal speed, but will work if it barely moves. Have also heard of hose problems where the inner layer collapses and blocks the flow. Let us know what the issue was when you get it solved.

Latest posts