Hydraulic Top Link

Help Support CattleToday:

I use one on a bush hog and hay tedder. Works good on some implements, not so good on others. I don't like it on a small plow.
It's definitely worth having.

turklilley said:
I use one on a bush hog and hay tedder. Works good on some implements, not so good on others. I don't like it on a small plow.
It's definitely worth having.

I was curious, I was grading some ruts out with a blade recently and I got tired of getting in and out to adjust the top link to how I wanted it.

My nephew had one on his 80hp Kubota and 6' mower. It worked ok but for what he was mowing, it seemed to be overkill. 30 ac flat, open pasture. It was nice when I used it with a 6' box blade and straight blade tho, to clean out the ditches along his mother's 1/4 mile long driveway.

You're kinda hard on those rubber tire grips ain'tcha? ;-)

I hate those pto guards.
I know they are there for a reason, but what a pita...

True Grit Farms said:

I don't even know where my factory top link is, but I do know I couldn't live without a hydraulic top link.

Grit looks like a 3" cylinder on the top link as I have saw 2" and 2 1/2" for-sale....would you go any smaller than that cylinder? Also I have the same 3 point bale carrier and it is worthless to carry a bale with a solid/fixed top link as the design is good for gooseneck towing, but not bale carrying.. I may get one of those cylinders so I can pull the goose neck and use the bale carrier together. I hadn't thought of that before.

Here is the 2" 4-sale and they have the 2 1/2" and 3" as you scroll down the page and looks like a good price. A couple of TSC hoses/ends maybe $30 and it is ready.

https://www.agrisupply.com/top-link-cylinder-cat-1-20-to-28-in/p/90599/

jltrent said:
True Grit Farms said:

I don't even know where my factory top link is, but I do know I couldn't live without a hydraulic top link.

Grit looks like a 3" cylinder on the top link as I have saw 2" and 2 1/2" for-sale....would you go any smaller than that cylinder? Also I have the same 3 point bale carrier and it is worthless to carry a bale with a solid/fixed top link as the design is good for gooseneck towing, but not bale carrying.. I may get one of those cylinders so I can pull the goose neck and use the bale carrier together. I hadn't thought of that before.

Here is the 2" 4-sale and they have the 2 1/2" and 3" as you scroll down the page and looks like a good price. A couple of TSC hoses/ends maybe $30 and it is ready.

https://www.agrisupply.com/top-link-cylinder-cat-1-20-to-28-in/p/90599/

I'm thinking that's the top link that I have JL.

sstterry said:
Grit,
How difficult is it to adjust manually when first hooking up a heavy implement? Seems like a PIA to have to be in the cab to extend or shorten it.

It's not as easy to hook up and takes some getting use to. But it sure beats climbing out of the tractor to adjust the top link.

True Grit Farms said:
sstterry said:
Grit,
How difficult is it to adjust manually when first hooking up a heavy implement? Seems like a PIA to have to be in the cab to extend or shorten it.

It's not as easy to hook up and takes some getting use to. But it sure beats climbing out of the tractor to adjust the top link.

If y'all ditch the cabs you just reach up there and work the lever.

True Grit Farms said:
sstterry said:
Grit,

Once the cylinder is good and broke in, I can put the remote in float, and pull or push the cylinder manually to hook up. Not much more difficult than a standard top link.

I use one on a box blade, a 3pt bale unroller, and a bale slicer. It's pretty much the only way to go with those implements.

Curious what it does for you with a bale unroller? Only time the 3pt hitch arms are even on my tractors is if I'm using the bale unroller in the winter. Never seen the need for a hydraulic top link but am curious since you said "it's the only way to go" with the unroller.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
Curious what it does for you with a bale unroller? Only time the 3pt hitch arms are even on my tractors is if I'm using the bale unroller in the winter. Never seen the need for a hydraulic top link but am curious since you said "it's the only way to go" with the unroller.

I have a bale wrapper and use it as a bale unroller also. I'd have problems with dragging the bale if I didn't have a hydraulic top link.

With my unroller I can lift the bale about 2' off the ground and can unroll all the way down to the spinner plates without touching the top link.

sstterry said:
Grit,

Our tractors (including a late 90's model) all have controls on the fender for the 3 point and pto, which allows much easier hooking and unhooking of three point equipment.

Latest posts