Hydraulic Remotes

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB2

Reaction score
Have a new to me JD 3950 chopper with electro-hydraulic controls. I can not get the remote lever on tractor to stay in the position needed, it pops back into neutral. Tried it on two different tractors, one with open-center hydraulics and one with closed-center hydraulics. The remote lever will hold in the opposite position I need but obviously doesn't help my situation. If I switch hose locations I get the same problem. I'm guessing I am doing something wrong or have something set incorrectly but not sure what. Any ideas?

Also, is it okay to tie lever in position as a last resort or will I burn out hydraulic pump?

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds like it's taking a lot of pressure to run it. Those detents are usually set below relief pressure for the tractor so you can't lock it in with the oil going over relief. The chopper is obviously running at the upper end but as long as it isn't over relief it should be ok to hold it on somehow.

Your dealer or someone who knows what they're doing could probably set it closer to relief for you if you'll be using a certain function on a certain tractor. It'll be set at an arbitrary number like say 500 psi below relief. That one function may need to be set 100psi below to hold in place for example.

I'm assuming the chopper is engaged/running when it's kicking the lever out. If not there's a possibility you have something like an under sized line or fitting restricting the circuit somewhere. If you think that's the issue look for something new/not factory on the chopper.

sounds like the same thing that I have with my big square baler. also acts the same with open or closed hyd system. I do use a strap to keep lever in the pressurized position. been doing it for 30+ years. had a problem with oil overheating and relief valve sticking. I now keep a closer eye on my monitor and engage the lever only when the pressure drops below or above set point. without seeing your setup or knowing what your hydraulics control on the chopper, it is hard to advise on how to improve your system. if I was still doing a lot of custom baling, I would make a bypass hose to connect pressure side and return side of hydraulics with a pressure relief valve installed to allow oil between the two and still maintain pressure to the chopper. that way you have constant flow of oil which will keep your tractor relief valve from opening, keep your oil cooler. and your lever will stay in the detent position without a strap to hold it. your dealer or local hydraulic repair center should be able to advise you.

The hydraulics control the raising/lowering of head, forward/reverse of the head and the spout, so usually just needed filling the last 1/3 of wagon. So I was thinking of something I could easily hook and unhook, thinking if it was only used 30% of the time the oil wouldn't heat as much. But really am worried about damage to the tractor. Will only be chopping around 25 acres and probably over a 3 day period so not pushing things hard.

maybe I am missing something, but which function needs hyd pressure all the time? the baler wants pressure all the time to control bale density. seems like you could get by with just holding the lever when you need to move one of the three systems.

maybe I am missing something, but which function needs hyd pressure all the time? the baler wants pressure all the time to control bale density. seems like you could get by with just holding the lever when you need to move one of the three systems.
I assumed something was running all the time. If it's just kicking out a lever that's intermittently used I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Nothing needs pressure at all times. And I've considered just holding the lever when needed but it would take one hand to hold the hydraulic lever and another to activate the electrical switch so then I don't have a hand on the steering wheel. Might be fine as it should only take a couple seconds to move spout or raise head but would be nice to be able to steer and operate controls at same time.

if you can use a bungee cord to hold the lever in the extend position for the few seconds that you need to move one thing with the switch then that would be an easy fix.

Have a new to me JD 3950 chopper with electro-hydraulic controls. I can not get the remote lever on tractor to stay in the position needed, it pops back into neutral. Tried it on two different tractors, one with open-center hydraulics and one with closed-center hydraulics. The remote lever will hold in the opposite position I need but obviously doesn't help my situation. If I switch hose locations I get the same problem. I'm guessing I am doing something wrong or have something set incorrectly but not sure what. Any ideas?

Also, is it okay to tie lever in position as a last resort or will I burn out hydraulic pump?

Thanks,
Chris
What tractor are you trying to run the chopper with?

Nothing needs pressure at all times. And I've considered just holding the lever when needed but it would take one hand to hold the hydraulic lever and another to activate the electrical switch so then I don't have a hand on the steering wheel. Might be fine as it should only take a couple seconds to move spout or raise head but would be nice to be able to steer and operate controls at same time.
Does your tractor have a hydraulic sensitivity knob?

You do not want the remote running all the time. You will likely overheat the oil at some point on an open center system.

Rydero has it right, the chopper's relief valve is set higher than the detent pressure of the tractor SCVs. Turning it down some would help, check the service manual, there is no need to have it higher than the tractor anyway.

Could also be that the chopper is setup for power beyond and not a SCV.

Even if you do get it set right, I would still leave the lever in neutral while you are not using it, no need to waste fuel pumping oil needlessly.

Latest posts