Hydraulic problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Horace Baker

Reaction score
A while back I picked up a stick with the rear tire of my Ford 4100 and it jammed into and crushed the hyd filter under the footrest. I replaced the filter, but now the hydraulics only work when the tractor is on the level. I added fluid, but am just guessing as the place where my level plug should be is just an untapped boss on the casting. I examined the filter housing for cracks but didn't find any.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I had a similar problem with an International 460. On the International there is an enternal metal pipe that runs froim the filter to the pump. Turns out it has partially collapsed. Pain in the butt, but when it was replaced it was llike a new tractor, other then being 30 years old.

dun

dun":1soh9urj said:
On the International there is an enternal metal pipe that runs froim the filter to the pump.
So is that internal or external? :lol:

On my tractor the only external thing is the cast elbow holding the filter, which doesn't appear damaged. I can't imagine how anything internal could have been damaged by that stick, although it sure crushed the filter good.

I was just using the tractor to ted some hay on a side hill field, and the hydraulically actuated pto stopped a few times on the steeper spots. I'm going to add some more fluid, but don't have much hope it'll help, as pre-stick it worked fine with the fluid that it had, and post-stick I added some already.

I had a similar problem once.

My issue was I was using the wrong weight hyrdraulic fluid. I kept adding fluid that I bought at the local farm store and the hydraulics weren't working like I thought they should. Then I drained the fluid and refilled it with the fluid I bought from the dealer, and everything worked fine.

Just a thought....

Horace Baker":3u3hu0by said:
dun":3u3hu0by said:
On the International there is an enternal metal pipe that runs froim the filter to the pump.
So is that internal or external? :lol:

On my tractor the only external thing is the cast elbow holding the filter, which doesn't appear damaged. I can't imagine how anything internal could have been damaged by that stick, although it sure crushed the filter good.

I was just using the tractor to ted some hay on a side hill field, and the hydraulically actuated pto stopped a few times on the steeper spots. I'm going to add some more fluid, but don't have much hope it'll help, as pre-stick it worked fine with the fluid that it had, and post-stick I added some already.

Gotta watch those fingers. Internal. The problem was the pump trying to suck the fluid throw a filter that wouldn;t allow it to pass. Sucked the tube enough to collapse it.

dun

dun":2ptrihb4 said:
The problem was the pump trying to suck the fluid throw a filter that wouldn;t allow it to pass. Sucked the tube enough to collapse it.
dun
Hmmm... :?

Latest posts