Hydraulic post driver

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with tractor mounted hydraulic post drivers such as made by Worksaver or Shaver? We need to install a new working corral and were told that these drivers could drive wood posts (even railroad ties). It sure would be easier than digging post holes and then filling and tamping around the posts. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

William Parris

[email protected]

> Hello,

> Does anyone have any experience
> with tractor mounted hydraulic
> post drivers such as made by
> Worksaver or Shaver? We need to
> install a new working corral and
> were told that these drivers could
> drive wood posts (even railroad
> ties). It sure would be easier
> than digging post holes and then
> filling and tamping around the
> posts. Any information would be
> appreciated.

> Thanks,

> William Parris We have one that we had built. If you have rocky ground it is near impossible to drive into ground. It really helps if you sharpen the ends of the post so it drives into the ground easier. I would recommend one highly.

[email protected]

> We bought a Worksaverlast year.....It was money well spent. It will pound into any ground ...Like someone else mention in rocky ground you need to sharpen them....we just us a chainsaw.

William,

I would highly suggest using the hydraulic post pounder as it gives a better fence in less time, especially if you are installing any tensioned fence. We had 1/2 of our pasture fence (high tensile) installed with pounded posts and I was impressed. I'm not sure how much sharpening is needed though, even in rocky ground. When they installed our fence they pounded two 8" flat-ended posts through an old gravel road bed without any problems.

One thought I I would add is to question whether you would need to purchase the unit yourself or if it would make more economic sense to rent a unit or hire someone with a unit to do the pounding. Last time I checked, one of the units starts at $10-15,000. One would have to do a lot of fencing to justify owning one. Just a thought.

[email protected]

We use a shaver driver that works very well.How much fence you need to put up verses the purchase price needs to be considered. Before we bought one we contracted just the post installed at $2.75 a post.Might be an option for you.

[email protected]

We have a Danhuser which is pto drive (it operates very simular to their hydraulic models). Works great for driving steel pipe post in extremely hard rocky ground.

Not to get off the subject, but have you considered not putting post in the ground for your corral. We built ours out of steel pipe made into 20' panels. Set them up with a tracter in somewhat of a circular pattern. Been there 10 years, and hasn't moved an inch. Now we want to move it to a new location. All we have to do is pull the pins, move the panels, and set it up again.

Just my 2 cents worth. Matt

[email protected]

Latest posts