Hydraulic Oil Tip

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I buy oil in 5 gallon buckets and sometimes find it hard to pour it in some tractors without spilling it everywhere. To remedy this, I started transferring the oil into those large 1-2 gallon detergent bottles like Gain comes in. When we finish one off, I rinse it and dry it. I then use a funnel to fill it up and cap it off. Next time I need a little, I got the jug and the funnel is already built in the jug. Works for me.

Guess I'm privileged. Had an Uncle worked for John Deere for 30 some years. He had a half gallon oil can that has a funnel type lip and long spout. I have it now. :)

Angus Cowman":zo7bxcfo said:
Or you can spend the $20-$30 and get a pump with a hose that fits a 5gal bucket and then ya just have to put the hose in the filler opening and pump

Well dog gone. Here I was trying to share and environmentally friendly way of saving money and all ya'll either have generous uncles or would rather buy a pump than filling up you ice chest with refreshments. ;-) :lol2:

They do work good. And the one's I use are green so you know its got to be good for the environment.

Those really big dish soap bottles are also great for filling the oil level in the chain saw Jo. They work just perfect without spilling a drop.

The worst thing about hydraulic oil spills in the west is the sand or dust sticking to it. Wetter climates don't deal with that as much. My uncle used to come out here and grease everything. My chrome trailer balls lost all their chrome in no time with him around. He could go through a couple of tubes of grease a day. He had never been around all this blow sand. He did more harm than good.

The poor guy was almost as stubborn as me.

Jogeephus":2ml2okog said:
Angus Cowman":2ml2okog said:
Or you can spend the $20-$30 and get a pump with a hose that fits a 5gal bucket and then ya just have to put the hose in the filler opening and pump

Well dog gone. Here I was trying to share and environmentally friendly way of saving money and all ya'll either have generous uncles or would rather buy a pump than filling up you ice chest with refreshments. ;-) :lol2:

They do work good. And the one's I use are green so you know its got to be good for the environment.
Hey Jo don't tell anyone but I have a air operated one that fits on the 55 gal drums also, I use it in the shop or if I have a major breakdown in the field
It was free tho I got it when I was demo-ing a service station several yrs ago along with 2 hyd car lifts and 2 500 gallon waste oil tanks that have pumps on them also
When I did excavating work I also did alot of building demos and you would be surprise what i brought home
Demo'd a old store building that had big windows in it and it was brick got over 300 ft of 3"x5"x3/8 and 4"x6"x3/8 angle iron that they had used for brick ledge over those window I built lots of stuff out of that
so I am green also

I take the five gallon buckets and pour them into my 30 gallon drum with a pump and long hose. Use to buy it in the 30 gallon drums but turned out I could buy it way cheaper elsewhere.

Limomike":3d8h3tld said:
dang Jo.. how many tractors you got?

About one too many. What happens to me is that I get spread out and don't always have access to the shed or the service truck so I stack a world of stuff in my pickup. This little jug is convenient and its free.

I actually buy more often then not just in the one gallon jugs as I pass the auto parts because I always need a jug in my truck, I am really spread out and during hay season my tractors might be two weeks before they get back to the farm.

hayray":1q6bgqy6 said:
I actually buy more often then not just in the one gallon jugs as I pass the auto parts because I always need a jug in my truck, I am really spread out and during hay season my tractors might be two weeks before they get back to the farm.

You sound like you might find some use for these jugs. They can be handy.

Jogeephus":29i7ur0e said:
hayray":29i7ur0e said:

You sound like you might find some use for these jugs. They can be handy.
Yeah, I think I should just plan on saving those and start filling them up for the hay season.

Latest posts