Hydraulic Leak

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a substantial hydraulic leak on one of my tractors. Tonight was the first time I was able to crawl under it to see what was going on. It appears to be coming from the side of the Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir on the rear of the tractor (at least one leak anyway). I had a new clutch put in this tractor in January. Before I start wrenching on it, can anyone tell me what this is? I prefer to know what I am dealing with before I start tightening. There is a clear leak at this point and it is pretty substantial when the tractor is running.
20210806_172943.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture. I don't see any cracks and can't tell from the picture were the oil is at. You said this is on the side of the oil reservoir. TO put the clutch in they may have drained the fluid there and it could just need a new seal under the drain plug.

I had a clutch put in late last fall and I have found several bolts loose since. I recon one of their mechanics got Covid in the time of it and they kelp the tractor almost a month. Over 3k to get them paid.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the picture. I don't see any cracks and can't tell from the picture were the oil is at. You said this is on the side of the oil reservoir. TO put the clutch in they may have drained the fluid there and it could maybe just need a new seal under the drain plug.

I had a clutch put in late last fall and I have found several bolts loose since. I recon one of their mechanics got Covid in the time of it and they kelp the tractor almost a month. Over 3k to get them paid.
The leak is at the bottom of that piece of flat metal, with tractor off, it is a slow ooze. I guess I will take it off and see what happens I will probably check all of the bolts for tightness too.

The bolt that is holding down the flat piece looks to have weld around. Probably not, but is there anyway on the back side it is pulled in with a nut as it sure does not look to screw in with the weld. The weld almost does not look good enough to be factory, but the bolt does not appear to ever had a wrench/socket on it either as no marks.

That is not a weld, it is just the shine from the leaking fluid. Without the benefit of the picture and looking from under the tractor, it looked like a key that fit into the rounded piece, but when I saw the picture, I knew different.

To update this, I was under the tractor this morning and checking everything out. I could not find the leak per se, but when I filled it back up and test drove it to check out all of the hydraulics, I noticed that I was leaking 3-4oz of fluid on the gravel everytime I engaged clutch. Is there a simple fix for this so so that I don't have to have the tractor towed back over to my mechanic?

Last edited:
Do you have a parts book or can you access the parts book online for this tractor so you can see exactly what you are dealing with there?

Do you have a parts book or can you access the parts book online for this tractor so you can see exactly what you are dealing with there?
I have a parts book online but it is not very good for troubleshooting something like this. I have spent a couple of hours going through it and it gives no real answers.

Well, I did find the online parts book and I have to say that's the worst parts book I've tried to navigate lol
There's a couple tricks to using Agco parts. You pretty much have to use a computer not a phone and when you first go into a book they have it listed in a terrible way. Tere's an icon with an arrow pointing down and some squares or something like that in the upper left corner. If you click that it shows categories that you can go into which works way better.PXL_20210807_232820698.jpg

Last edited:
There's a couple tricks to using Agco parts. You pretty much have to use a computer not a phone and when you first go into a book they have it listed in a terrible way. Tere's an icon with an arrow pointing down and some squares or something like that in the upper left corner. If you click that it shows categories that you can go into which works way better.View attachment 6906
Yeah, I am familiar with their site, I have used it for years, but it is still just indexed and laid out terribly. I don't use my phone for any internet browsing. Just my PC's. I am too old to learn all the new-fangled phone stuff.

Yeah, I am familiar with their site, I have used it for years, but it is still just indexed and laid out terribly. I don't use my phone for any internet browsing. Just my PC's. I am too old to learn all the new-fangled phone stuff.
I also think it's laid out terribly, I've never used a parts site as bad as this.

I can't really tell anything from your pictures since there is no point of reference (side, bottom, top?). The half-moon deal looks like a pin, and the little plate is the retainer for it. If this on the bottom of the transmission, the pin is likely for the drawbar.

You will rarely ever see more than a super slow drip from a drain plug.

What you are seeing is likely not the source of the leak. Keep in mind that oil doesn't run uphill, and air movement from the fan/driving can blow fluid rearward.

There is a lot more to leak on the top and sides of the transmission than the bottom. Some tractors have a trap door in the floor pan or under the seat that will give you access to that area.

If it were mine, I would give it a pressure washing that it has never seen before, get all up in there, soaking first with a degreaser will help too. Run it a while and start following the run uphill until you find the source.

If it only leaks when the clutch is depressed, leave the tractor running and use a stick to hold the clutch down while you look.

Since you say it is related to the clutch, I would be looking the clutch operating valve over closely, if it is hydraulically applied.

I have a chased a couple on our Valtra, it is time consuming. One was a loose pipe on the top of the trans, after washing and using a really good light, you could see the fluid trail up top. The other was a loose pressure test port cap under the floor pan in the cab. I didn't find that one until I had already removed the skid plates and eliminated all of places it could leak that were down low.

Last edited: