hydraulic fluid

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
what brand of hydro fluid do you use. I have always used Kubota utd in my Kubota . almost twice as expensive. wondering if I am throwing away money

I run a machine at my day job that has 2 hydraulic pumps that cost 30k a piece, after seeing how cheap oil can heat up and break down and tear up expensive parts I run either Mobil 1 or Shell oils that meet the spec I need in all my tractors no matter how old and worn they are. In almost all cases good oil is cheaper than a new pump/valve/clutch/etc.

chevytaHOE5674":3qmmo4qr said:
I run a machine at my day job that has 2 hydraulic pumps that cost 30k a piece, after seeing how cheap oil can heat up and break down and tear up expensive parts I run either Mobil 1 or Shell oils that meet the spec I need in all my tractors no matter how old and worn they are. In almost all cases good oil is cheaper than a new pump/valve/clutch/etc.

Now you've got me rethinking my choices.

A cheap bucket of oil is 23 dollars, a good bucket of shell/mobil/etc is 60 a bucket. Most tractors don't hold more than 20-30 gallons and you shouldn't need to be changing the oil that often.

Say you need 30 gallons of oil that's 6 buckets. Good oil is $37 more per pail, that's a difference of 222 bucks. Can you replace/rebuild a major component for that money?

Case in point the machine I run had a pump failure a few years back so they drained all the oil (150+ gallons) and then sent in a sample. What the lab said was that while the oil met AW-46 spec when it was heated to the high end of operating temperature (still within the oils spec) the oil would start to break down, this caused bubbles to form, which in an aluminum piston pump means extreme hot spots which caused the housing to destroy itself. So all the money we saved using cheaper oil over the previous years was blown when we bought a $30k pump, and spent $10K in parts in labor for them to drain and flush every last drop of contaminated oil out of the machine. No more cheap oil for me.

chevytaHOE5674":3elr6bo8 said:
A cheap bucket of oil is 23 dollars, a good bucket of shell/mobil/etc is 60 a bucket. Most tractors don't hold more than 20-30 gallons and you shouldn't need to be changing the oil that often.

Say you need 30 gallons of oil that's 6 buckets. Good oil is $37 more per pail, that's a difference of 222 bucks. Can you replace/rebuild a major component for that money?

Case in point the machine I run had a pump failure a few years back so they drained all the oil (150+ gallons) and then sent in a sample. What the lab said was that while the oil met AW-46 spec when it was heated to the high end of operating temperature (still within the oils spec) the oil would start to break down, this caused bubbles to form, which in an aluminum piston pump means extreme hot spots which caused the housing to destroy itself. So all the money we saved using cheaper oil over the previous years was blown when we bought a $30k pump, and spent $10K in parts in labor for them to drain and flush every last drop of contaminated oil out of the machine. No more cheap oil for me.
So was the problem actually cheaper fluid, or was the problem whatever caused it to heat up? Or put another way, would a "better" fluid have done the same thing?

I had an old 460 International that changed it's own hydraulic fluid as you used it. About 5-6 gallons a day worth. I used the cheapest crap I could for that. Otherwise I use the best stuff I can find. Haven;t even had to top off the oil in the JD 5093 in 4 years.

M.Magis":3hrgl8rk said:
So was the problem actually cheaper fluid, or was the problem whatever caused it to heat up? Or put another way, would a "better" fluid have done the same thing?

The machine was operating it is regulated and safe range. It has a huge cooler and a valve similar to a cars thermostat that bring the oil up to temp and keep it in its safe zone, and it will shut itself down if it gets overheated. Nothing has been changed other than the pump and it still operates at the same temp but with "good" oil we haven't had any trouble in 4K+ hours, and regular oil samples confirm that the oil is still lubricating well and holding together even at temps above what the machine will operate at. So the only problem with the machine was cheapo "white bucket" 30 dollar AW-46 oil instead of good Shell Tellus AW-46.

I use 2 types of fluids for 2 types of tractors.....'63-65 vintage gets something with JD 303 spec on the container. 2007 up tractors get JD20C spec on the container. I use that spec as it is as picky as anybody's and JD is popular equipment so an oil supplier will list it if it lists anything at all.

The 303 works for all older trans/hydraulic functions and the newer J20C includes hydrostat, wet brake, shuttle and all the fancy amenities these days. I don't live in a cold climate so I don't look for J20D.

Warren oil is a national packager that supplies lots of jobbers with their name brand oil. Going to bet that they have 2 huge vats (simply speaking), one for 303 and the other for 20C. I really don't think it makes economical sense to have a dozen vats sitting around with Ford's name on one and IH on the other and so on.....mix for the worse case spec and list everybody's spec on the container.

Works for me.

Hy tran. I wanted to cry when I drained what was in it when I bought it And replaced with hy tran. Couldn't tell a difference but better safe than sorry

the cheap hydro fluid is made up of used oils / coolants / etc. from shops.. they pick up the used oil from dealerships and then turn is into this cheap hydro fluid.

if you open up 10 of these 5 gallon bucks some will be different colors.

Also, last year, I had a cheap bucket of this fluid and i opened it in about 5 degree temps. all the fluids in this bucket were completely separated from each other. it looks like puke.

I am going to disagree, we used to buy hytran for the case equipment and JD for the JD equipment last time it was around $85 - $95 for a 5 gal bucket. We have switched to hydraulic fluid from a farm store (listed as 303) at $25 - 30 and have had no problems. All of our equipment is out of warranty so no issues with voiding such. We change on a regular basis and also allow equipment to warm up in winter. I have never seen any issues of separation, different color, breakdown etc. I will say we do not have huge 250 hp tractors our largest is 145hp. If I had a $250,000 piece of equipment I could afford name brand that is not my lot in life but I also don't break out in a sweat if I see a banker, heck I don't even know what they look like.

red angus 2010":1w369udv said:
I am going to disagree, we used to buy hytran for the case equipment and JD for the JD equipment last time it was around $85 - $95 for a 5 gal bucket. We have switched to hydraulic fluid from a farm store (listed as 303) at $25 - 30 and have had no problems. All of our equipment is out of warranty so no issues with voiding such. We change on a regular basis and also allow equipment to warm up in winter. I have never seen any issues of separation, different color, breakdown etc. I will say we do not have huge 250 hp tractors our largest is 145hp. If I had a $250,000 piece of equipment I could afford name brand that is not my lot in life but I also don't break out in a sweat if I see a banker, heck I don't even know what they look like.

i've also seen a car running.. "just fine" with oil so sludgy it wouldn't even pour out of the drain hole.

ddd75":14p9roqd said:
i've also seen a car running.. "just fine" with oil so sludgy it wouldn't even pour out of the drain hole.
Funny you should mention that. My wife had a pinto station wagon that she neglected to tell me the warning light on the dash was on and had been for about 6 months. One day when she started it it sounded a little rough/noisey. Checked the oil and nothing showed on the dipstick. Drained it and all there was was a burned hard blob on the drain plug. Put oil in it and she drove it for 2 more years.

Latest posts