Hybrid Bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

Baldie Maker

Reaction score
I'm in south Central KY and contemplating adding a hybrid bermuda to some sacrifice areas aswell as a select few other pastures. I'm hoping in the Sacrifice areas to add a thicker sod so the cattle won't have as much mud, while adding it to a few select pastures to aid in the dilution of KY 31 during the hotter dryer months when it is dormant and not palatable. I've found two hybrids that I may be interested in and those are Cheyenne 2 and Mohawk.
My question to the group is do you have any experience with either of these two? If you do would you please elaborate on the good, bad, and ugly.
Also if anyone close to the same latitude/longitude as Ky with fescue has any experience with Bermuda I'd love to hear it.

I have a good friend, 5 miles from my house does exceptionally well with it. I tried and failed a few times. I never got a stand to work from. The secret to his success, is spraying it with glyphosate in the spring, while the Bermuda is dormant, and the fescue/cool season weeds are starting to green up. In our area, a warm season can't compete with a cool season. The cool season gets the jump on the Bermuda, and chokes it out. You'll have to pursue a pure stand and it keep it pure. Works for him to make hay. IMHO, it's not going to work blended in to a pasture situation. I tried all the seeded varieties and tifton 44. He and I both had the best luck with Wrangler.

Don't have any experience with those varieties, but we do the same thing with common bermuda, it is our staple in the warm months and makes great hay if you have too much for grazing. Drought resistant, and the heavier pastured the better it seems, loves nitrogen.

Latest posts