Hybrid Bermuda Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
I have a very small side pasture which I am considering seeding some hybrid Bermuta as an experiment. If any of you have tried some I'd sure like some suggestions. Is it really that much better than the Bermuta that has been in my pasture for years? I will need to stick to seeds for planting. Thanks. In the Southwest area of Arkansas. Anyone tried Texas Tough?

Pointer1160":23qydfqa said:
I have a very small side pasture which I am considering seeding some hybrid Bermuta as an experiment. If any of you have tried some I'd sure like some suggestions. Is it really that much better than the Bermuta that has been in my pasture for years? I will need to stick to seeds for planting. Thanks. In the Southwest area of Arkansas. Anyone tried Texas Tough?
Are your sure you are dead set on seeds only??

Texas tuff is a third common Bermuda. That's what you'll have in a few years.
The only seeded Bermuda I would mess with is giant. In my limited experience sprigging is actually safer. As long as you have soil moisture and get rain pretty quick. Your good.
It seems with seeds you need several weeks of wet ground. Wet in first half inch or so. That can be hard to get.

I've had limited success with seeding, tried Rancho Frio and did fair with it. Like fence says moisture is very important and ground prep is about the same as sprigging. The thing to remember about hybrid Bermuda is it takes fertilizer to grow. Pretty much need to fertilize it every year or it eventually goes away. I'd try seeding again but spriggs are the way to go if you can.

You referenced "the Bermuda that has been in my pasture for years." If you currently have Bermuda, it is probably common. If you are going to seed or sprig a different variety, you need to kill every bit of what is there now, else it will overtake whatever you plant. The only way to kill it is with repeated, heavy doses of glyphosate. The greatest virtue of regular old common Bermuda is that it is almost impossible to get rid of.

Ask me how I know. ;-))

Thank all of you so very much. Thought the hybrid would dominate. Now I know otherwise. Thanks!